Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Left Handed Rifles

Troy R

I am looking to buy a new rifle for elk hunting. I am looking for a good quality bolt action rifle that is left handed. Seems like I am going to end up with a Browning X-bolt or a Tikka T3x. Curious if anyone has any insight on either of those two rifles or if any left hand hunter have found a better option.

on roughly a weekly basis i would peruse the used rack at cabelas until a left handed 30-06 showed up when i was looking for my first elk/deer/antelope gun

the day one showed up it happened to be a savage 116, bought it without thinking twice - i would've bought whatever used left handed 06 showed up to be honest, though i was glad it was a savage

came with the stock package deal "POS" nikon scope too....

haven't missed an animal yet, 3 years and six animals.

It’s kinda slim pickens... that said I’ve been able to shoot right handed rifles just fine.

I was kinda annoyed that weatherby came out with a meateater edition rifle, Steve is left handed so they made him a left handed version. They only sell the rifle in a right handed model.

Hey weatherby

It’s kinda slim pickens... that said I’ve been able to shoot right handed rifles just fine.

I was kinda annoyed that weatherby came out with a meateater edition rifle, Steve is left handed so they made him a left handed version. They only sell the rifle in a right handed model.

Hey weatherby
I don’t think Howa makes any left handed actions, so no left handed Vanguards.

I have no idea if Remington makes the 700 in a left handed action presently, but my son purchased one a number of years ago.

I have no idea if Remington makes the 700 in a left handed action presently, but my son purchased one a number of years ago.

They have been making a 700 portsider for at least 45 years and still do. You can also buy just the action.

Here is a 6.5-06AI that I had built for me recently.

l8nisfK.jpg

I'm a lefty and own the following:
Browning A-bolt .30-06
Tikka T3 Lite stainless .308
Savage 11 .243
Ruger M77 .375 Ruger

There are things I like about each one of these, all are nice. I love Browning's 60 degree bolt. The Savage 3-position safety and accutrigger are very nice IMO. The Tikka is pretty new, but I like the feel of it so far.

I personally shoot best with the Savage, but maybe it's because of less recoil. I think it's just a matter of what features you want vs. price. You can't beat the price on one of the Savage models.

In left hand models, I have had a few Remington 700s (LSSs and a BDL), a Weatherby Mark V, a Browning A-Bolt, and a Tikka T3X Superlite. I found sub-MOA loads for all but the A-Bolt. I think my Browning was a fluke as my brother’s mirror imaged RH A-Bolt was a shooter. I like the feel of the Remingtons in my hand best because of the flush BDL bottom metal and the rounded stock where I carry them. I like the weight and how well I consistently shoot the Tikka.

I found my last two Remington 700 LSSs at a pawn shop.

Tried a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. Accuracy was quite good and I liked the Accu-Trigger. Did not like the (over?) @#)(#-on-opening action. I honestly could not work the bolt in the prone position without dismounting the rifle...not quite Mosin-Nagant bad, but not good. I had to put a big over-size after-market bolt handle on it. Plastic trigger guard and the scope mounting hardware were pretty much junk that I replaced right away and since I like to use a tight shooting sling the synthetic stock was too flimsy for me.

Trying the Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 now. Hard to go wrong with that action but SPS apparently stands for Sh***y Plastic Stock. It's a flimsy Tupperware type that actually has two knobs of plastic at the end up the barrel channel that put upward pressure directly on the barrel and that did absolutely nothing good for accuracy or consistency. Replacing both the factory stock and the absolutely Godawful new idiot-and-lawyer-proof Remington trigger was pretty much mandatory for me. It's finally shaping up to be a pretty nice shooter now.

That being said, a good friend of mine got the southpaw Tikka two years ago. He was very happy with it right out of the box and it has always given him excellent accuracy. I was impressed with the slick, fast, short bolt throw too. When he's showing off it sounds like he's shooting a semi-auto. I debated a long time between the Tikka and the Remington 700 and finally wound up with the latter because I wanted a 24-inch barrel and needed a 1-in-10 rifling twist to experiment with the heavier Hornady ELD-X bullets.

I have 7 Remington 700 LH rifles. 2 in 6.5-06; 2 in 6.5-06AI; 1 in .25-06; 1 in .25/284 on a short action and 1 in .280 Remington. Was down at a local farm supply [large store] place and without even trying I found 4 Savage LH rifles on the rack.

I bought my first LH Remington 700 [a 30-06] in 1975 and IIRC the only other option at the time was Weatherby. Even the store owner didn't know that lefties were available.

Last edited:
I have both right and left-handed rifles and have no problem with either. Right hand is easier to find, but I like my left side better. I have Savage and Remington rifles and most have custom barrels, now. I think that the Tikka would be a good choice and they have better quality control than Remington, or Savage, for new rifles. I have seen some pure crap come out of the Remington factory lately. Savage is a bit better, but still a crap shoot as to barrel quality. My buddy had to send one back two, or three times to get a good one.

If you can find a used one, it will generally be a bit cheaper than a right-hand, as there is less demand for them.

I have a left handed x-bolt hunter in 7mm-08. Been very pleased with it. Did have trouble finding a factory load that shot well until I tried the federal premium with 140 tsx which it really likes. Only complaint is the satin finish isn't real durable. Just put a vx3i on it with the custom turret and couldn't be happier with the performance

Hey weatherby
Your hunting truck is a corolla and you shoot wrong handed. 🤔

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back