Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

LE Units and death from old age

Bullshot

I just got to thinking....are there any LE units in any state where a mature bull elk stands a reasonable chance of dying naturally from old age rather than hunting?? If so, I would equate that to the absolute limit, of where the game commissions should provide a few more tags to "prevent" that (statistically) from being the case. It could move more people through each system and would probably mean we all settled for a reduction in "max potential" in that unit but also would mean we didn't just leave trophies on the mountain to decline and disappear in anonymity. I suspect the truth is closer to there are no such units, and that most extremely mature bulls eventually fall to a bullet or arrow.

Followup question if there are no magical units with full age class elk. What do game departments manage to in those cases, for top end areas. 90% max? 75%. Less? Is it just bull:cow ratios? Age distribution? What defines management of a "trophy" unit.

Last edited:
I know general area that may well fit that bill. Mostly private and a very healthy elk population.
I see no problem with a bull living out it's lifetime and dying a natural death.

My opinion is that there are plenty of limited units where bulls can die of old age. Reasons: inaccessibility due to rugged terrain or private land, some bulls never reach the size considered to be a "trophy" worthy of wrapping two decades of points around its antler, they don't get old by being dumb, etc. I also don't have a problem with having hunting units where animals die of old age. I think it can happen in OTC units in CO, and I certainly don't want more pressure there. The notion that you can increase hunting pressure until no bulls live out their natural life does not sound appealing or like anything I would promote.

I would say if there aren't some that die from old age your age class is too low, hunting pressure too high etc....

Last edited:
There is a unit in AZ that is not a trophy unit that has some spots that are over 12 miles from the nearest road and is think and steep canyon country. I imagine some bulls live out there lives there barely ever seeing a human.

I think the whole question kind of assumes that agencies know far more specific info than they ever could about age class and individual animals across units. Ratios are a pretty effective management level surrogate.

I know general area that may well fit that bill. Mostly private and a very healthy elk population.
I see no problem with a bull living out it's lifetime and dying a natural death.
Good point, I hadn’t considered the private land sanctuaries in my original post. I am with others not necessarily wishing for more pressure or hunting in order to eliminate old elk. But I would think that a game department’s management philosophy for trophy class units has to have some very practical limitations and that they would ultimately choose to err on the side of more $$ and hunters than to manage for the biggest possible bull and even less so for any romantic or nostalgic notion of leaving a few big ones on the mountain. as hunters though, we all would hope or dream is the case. But good for the elk that find a hideout that even in todays technological age is too far, too remote, too steep or thick for even the most motivated hunters and outfitters to get to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back