Law enforcement in Colorado

Jwhigg18

Does anyone work in LE in Colorado or know any information about it? I’m looking for a career change in a different state. State patrol or local police. Thanks

Does anyone work in LE in Colorado or know any information about it? I’m looking for a career change in a different state. State patrol or local police. Thanks
I have a few friends that are local police in denver metro area. They are losing staff at an alarming rate.

Well I’m not sure if that’s good news or bad news for me. That was one of the services I have looked at. Thanks

Well I’ve thought about Colorado or Montana. If anyone can add some pros and cons it would be appreciated. I’m trying to move from EMS to LE and move states at the same time.

Well I’ve thought about Colorado or Montana. If anyone can add some pros and cons it would be appreciated. I’m trying to move from EMS to LE and move states at the same time.
Split the difference and move to WY.

In all seriousness, hunting is vastly better in MT than CO. Salary, cost of living, and quality of life is going to vary greatly in each state depending upon the local you choose.

I once thought seriously about pivoting on my career path into LE.

As I was searching and doing some half hearted applying CO State Patrol seemed like the place to be. Seemed like the best pay, good benefits, good retirement. Though you don’t exactly choose where you go after academy. Not sure they accept laterals either, at least they didn’t at the time. They could throw you down in Lamar by Kansas or you could get the Yampa Valley or you could work the Eagle valley, or you could just stand and guard the state capitol all day… not sure you get a strong say. It was pretty competitive and application periods were years apart when I was looking into it, that may have changed through.

Personally, I would look at the county sheriffs and state patrol before anything else. A few of my choices choices would be summit county, larimer county, Jefferson county, weld county…

There’s gotta be at least one Colorado LE on here?

Last edited:
Wyoming highway patrol seems to be looking all the time. My brother in law is a deputy in Adam’s county and says they are looking a lot too.

There always seems to be a banner hanging on the Eagle County Colorado cop shop looking for help. The downside? It’s gonna be hard to find a reasonable place to live$. Not sure what they pay.

Good luck in your search. I have nothing but respect for law enforcement and other first responders. God bless you all.

Something to consider, I’m sure this has a lot to do with the exodus of cops in Colorado. It’s not a deal breaker, IMO.
Second this, it's caused a rift in NM as well. We're losing LEO at an alarming rate. (NM passed similar law)

Second this, it's caused a rift in NM as well. We're losing LEO at an alarming rate. (NM passed similar law)

Something to consider, I’m sure this has a lot to do with the exodus of cops in Colorado. It’s not a deal breaker, IMO.
How much longer will this idiocy be allowed to go on? Burns my #%* to see our law enforcement to be disrespected.

How much longer will this idiocy be allowed to go on? Burns my #%* to see our law enforcement to be disrespected.
I don’t think it’s just about disrespect. That may be part of it, I don’t know. There are issues with qualified immunity that need resolved.

Colorado has had its share of issues with police misconduct. As I recall. NM has too. I believe one of their departments ended up under DOJ oversight.

At a training I just attended in Montana I think there were 5 or 6 recent laterals from the Denver area to Montana departments. They sure had some crazy stories.

You guys know I don’t talk to police, but at the same time the older I get the tougher that career sounds.
Imagine if you’ve got a cold and a sore throat, but Bobby Wayne has too much to drink up at the bar and you’re required to fight him for prob less than 100k a year.

Back