Latest thoughts on traveling with meat

1. Yes if it’s boned out.
2. Frozen is better, as you can’t fly with wet ice. A big piece of dry ice, will get your meat frozen “enough” to make it home anywhere in the us on a direct flight. There is a dry ice limit for baggage, get twice your limit the day before, it will sublimate enough to be legal within 12-18 hours.
3. They just don’t want you to make a dry ice bomb, coolers aren’t 100% airtight so you are all good. ( if your worries leave the plug slightly ajar.

-it’s a pronghorn hunt so you have a 90% chase of filling your tag... as long as your using a rifle.

I have never purchased dry ice before. Is this something I should buy before I leave or when I get to my hunting spot? Is it like regular ice in that it only lasts for a certain period of time?

Also I called a few butchers and no one willing to let me freeze meat. I won’t have time to pay for processing so just need a freezer. Any other ideas? Laramie area of Wyoming

I have never purchased dry ice before. Is this something I should buy before I leave or when I get to my hunting spot? Is it like regular ice in that it only lasts for a certain period of time?
Dry ice is different in that it sublimates rather than melts, solid->gas, needs to be much colder than wet ice so it will dissipate by %weight faster than wet ice.

It’s not sold everywhere, although a lot of grocery stores carry it, I know they have it in Casper, I would assume you can get it Laramie.

If you are just using it to keep ice longer than get it before you drive out of town, if you are using it to freeze meat get it after you kill your critter, put the meat on the bottom of the cooler and the dry ice on top. You meat will be frozen solid if you leave it over night.

Is there a reason we can hang meat in a cool state for days but freak out if it is less than frozen for the trip home? As long as the cooler doesn’t leak blood, seems to me it would be fine on any flight if you start frozen or partially frozen with no ice or dry ice. I would be more worried about fish than regular old meat.

Get two soft 30-35 liter coolers, icemule or Calcutta for example. You can pack about 50 pounds in each easy. I just flew back from Co with an antople, cap and a skull in a 33 liter Calcutta. It worked great. The soft cooler weight less then hard coolers an are ideal for packing meat.

I do the same thing for most deer hunts in the lower 48 as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back