Latest in W Yellowstone Bison Saga

BigHornyRam

The do gooders are upset that helicopters used to haze bison back into the Park are disturbing nesting bald eagles and other wildlife. Time for Montana to rethink our bison management strategy and go back to a bison hunt. Of course the roar of a 375 H&H will probably disturb the wildlife as well, but what the hay!

Paul

Do these do-gooders have some better idea, or is it the usual "somebody needs to come up with something better" campaign? They always complain about the current methods, but they never have a better plan. Bah!

Some that I talked to in the park this summer were open to hunting or even trapping (to be sold to Indian tribes) as long as it didn't interfere with calving or stressing pregnant cows. Their (they could be different than the group Paul is referring to) argument the amount of stress placed on bison during the winter by hazing is bad. Just what I was told by the one lady I met their this summer.

If our spineless chickenshit former MT governor, Republican Stan Stephens, hadnt caved in to the anti's we could still be hunting them. He made the decision to end the hunt, shoot or whatever you want to call it of the bison that wandered out of the park. Great idea, take away a program that keeps bison numbers in check, makes the state some money and exchange that for the current "system" that costs MT taxpayers a gob of money. I'd like to plant a boot in Stans ass, as supposedly he was a republican looking out for hunters. Luckily, I didnt vote for the dimwit.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-09-2003 13:28: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Hey now, Stan was just watching out for MT big industry// that clean tourism that is supposed to make all of montanans prosperous.

Call someone quick
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
we all agree on this post.
What a crock that the hunt was stopped.
More good stuff comming from our anit-hunting nut cases.

Yep...It is different that we "ALL" agree on this one, some one should put it on a calender and we should have it put some where for posterity, I don't think it will be awhile before that happens again...LMAO...'I am going to some fish and game meetings soon, I will see if they will mention it or if I can bring it up for a response..
biggrin.gif

Elk,

I read in the Missoulian a while back that our politicans are seriously considering bringing the hunt back. The bison populations are approaching record highs, and with serious budget short falls they are finally figuring out that we are just pissing money away on an equally unpopular and ineffective way to control the bison. Lets see what kind of guts our politicians have. I'm not holding my breath.

Paul

I'm not disagreeing, but I want everyone to think about this. Stopping the Bison hunt was probably a good thing, it gives creedence to biologist's and hunter's claims that hunting is an effective management tool, it also tends to shore up arguements that the little forest creatures do not control their populations on their own ,atleast not in ways that work well with human interests.

Look real close at the Bison (and Lion for Ca)situation, doesn't it dispell a lot of what the anti's keep claiming?

I say don't resume the hunt for a few more years and stop the other management enterprises (IE: trapping them, hazing etc.) and let the anti's see the real deal.

It's very sad times when we have to sit on our thumbs and watch great things happen right in front of our eyes that alot of the populace just doesn't seem to have a clue about, even to the point of it's own detriment...
biggrin.gif

Being as I don't have a dog in this race....it probably doesn't matter what I think, but, I saw this Bison "shoot" a few years ago on the news....and the "PRESS" is the reason you don't have this hunt anymore
rolleyes.gif

It was just that....a shoot. They were slaughtering them in groups of cows, calves and bulls...and the news crew was filming it.

Mars,I agree with you (when talking in tearm's of reasanable people)but the problem is that many of these animal rights groups dont care and dont GET it.
They refer it as the natural way ,many that I have talked to have said they would reither see animals starve to death then be shot because that's nature.
They also support some type of birth control LOL
I worked at a veterinary clinic that were spaying and nutering beavers from the Boise area to try to stop all the damage to the tree's.
rolleyes.gif

Flipper,that also has some truth to it --but on the other side to that ,the new's should have to show what goes on in the slaughter houses as alot of the people that pitch a fit over hunting eat meat!!! They just cant kill there own food.
I agree it doesnt look very sporting,but many of the depration hunt's arent what you call sporting,its used as a managment tool.

I think the only way to get around it is to stand firm on hunting and the assult on the outdoor lifestyle.

I worked at a veterinary clinic that were spaying and nutering beavers from the Boise area to try to stop all the damage to the tree's.

Uhh wouldn't it have been better to take them to a dentist??
biggrin.gif

Mars,

If we sit on our hands, the wackos get everything they want. MT losses its brucellocis free status, and bison would be roaming the streets of downtown Bozeman. Most of the newcomers would think this pretty neat, until one of the big beasts crapped on their lawn, or they hit one with their Subaru. Then they would be talking to their lawyer.

Paul

I know what you say is true Paul but from where I stand, you guys are getting so many newbies out there wanting to see the "old west" that you guys are probably just about screwed until drastic stuff happens and the newbies learn about the real world.

If only the weather would cooperate. If we ever get that -40 for a coupla weeks straight then maybe they move out. But I know the SUV pollute ozone weather global warming, we'll never see the cold again.

Hell now they are still trying to get the bio-bullet to work better. Shoot farther with a better innoculate.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back