Late September Mule Deer Behavior

SDS14

Good Morning Fellow Hunters,
I was lucky enough to draw a central manti, UT general season muzzleloader deer tag. My hunt starts Wednesday, September 23. I know the area really well from hunting elk there, but this year I have had a hard time locating deer. I went scouting this past weekend and didn't see a single doe. It is extremely dry. My game plan is to hunt the higher elevations (9500 ft-11000 ft) since we have little no weather. Any tips or advice for hunting mule deer in late September? Are they still in their summer patterns since its been so hot and dry?
Happy Trails,
SDS14

Find water. I’m noticing in my area in UT, they are actually hanging out at lower elevations where there is some water. The spring fed creeks at the higher elevations are bone dry, and the only place I’ve been seeing deer during the day are at the lower elevations hiking in. I am seeing some deer on trail cams in my usual spots higher up, but they are almost exclusively nocturnal. They come into the area and feed a bit and bed down. But they are not there during the day. Hoping for some colder weather and precipitation soon!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back