Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Late September Dusky Grouse Colorado

PBenjamin

First time hunting in Colorado. I’m heading up last week of Sept. Any tips on some decent ducky locations??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steep slopes between 8-11k ft. That narrows it down right? They are reverse migrators I believe (they go up instead of down) so whatever elevation you start flushing them at, stick to it and you'll likely get into more of them. I flushed a few around 9k a few days ago but they could be elsewhere in a few weeks. Any Grouse experts out there? Im always confused by the whereabouts of these birds.

After spending about 6 hours hiking steep slopes in a basin between 10-11,300 ft last weekend, I had a couple cross the road in front of me on private on my drive home at about 9,500. I'd start there and work up. Look for and think about areas that have lots of grasshoppers.

When e-scouting grouse spots, I look for fairly steep berry-covered hillsides and spruce or aspens BELOW for grouse to fly DOWN to escape predators. Without exception, the crops of the grouse I've killed have been full of snow berries, juniper berries, and creeping barberries as well as leaves from said plants.

You'll be hard placed to find anyone giving away dusky grouse locations. I find them around the same elevation as the elk. Look for their droppings.

Would be happy to give you the location, tons of birds running around. 100% Guarantee you would take one look at the map and... hard pass.
1569271415056.png

Lol, first thought I had, also. Wilm may be underestimating the gravitational pull of blue Grouse for the obsessed. Unless it takes full on wall climbing gear or a helicopter, people would go. Some might even go get a chopper or some bolts and drills :)

It requires backpack camping, would be literally impossible to hunt in a day.

Bolts and drills sound fun though... probably more of a ptarmigan hunt

It requires backpack camping, would be literally impossible to hunt in a day.

Bolts and drills sound fun though... probably more of a ptarmigan hunt

Sweet, a twofer, ptarmigan are always out of season when I see them! My grouse intake is zero so far this Sept., might need to take a trip just for birds...

We found them last week well up the mountain in young / sparse pines with the floor covered in blueberry or huckleberry (or similar). 10-20 year cuts rather than older growth pines seemed to be favored.

I was hoping to get into them last week where we saw a ton last year, but I think we only saw 4-5 grouse before my buddy killed his bull, so no great opportunities for birds...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back