Late season Wyoming Cow Elk

Hey guys,

One last try at this and then I promise no more.

My buddy and I will be hunting December 29- January 1 (4 days) hoping to tag a couple cow elk in Wyoming unit 7 late season. I asked a lot of questions before and didn't get a response, so I'm hoping I can get some of the more critical answers taken care of.

1.) What tactics would you typically use for this kind of hunt? Do you focus on the lower elevations and the valleys this time of year? The info I have found leads me to believe that the snow and weather should have them pushed down into the valleys during the winter, but I'm an elk novice so I'll take any advice that I can get.

2.) Will the HMA's, WIA and public still be getting hit hard by then or are most of the locals already done?

3.) I've noticed a lot of the roads are not maintained after November 1st. Are these really completely unmaintained or will a 4WD Ford Explorer with good tires be O.K. for the most part?

Thanks for any advice. I really am a complete elk novice, so any feedback is welcome.

I am by far an expert on elk and have only hunted Colorado so this is like the blind leading the blind!
1. If I were you, call the local game biologist for their advice if you haven't already done so. Then assuming you have a general area picked out, use day one to speed scout. You should be able to get a feel for pressure and find the elevation containing the most sign. From that you should be able to plan the rest of your hunt from there.
2. No idea but the further you can get off a road the better you'll be
3. Take tire chains, preferably a set of four. There's a good thread on here on this and would be good for you to read

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Buzz,

Thanks for the call! I can't thank you enough for the advice! I truly appreciate it and I look forward to posting some pictures of a couple happy cow elk hunters on January 2nd!

my late cow

2012-11-13_08-51-41_503.jpg

This is by fare the biggest cow elk I have ever taken. 1 shot 7mm mag 139 gr at about 450 yard. That is figured at about 24 inches of drop, I held 12 inches above her back and hit `just below center of her chest. I had to cut her neck off at the shoulders to get her off the floor. I have no idea what she wieghed, just a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back