MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Late season WY cow hunt suggestions?

kyle m

I see Wyoming has a lot of late season (December and January) cow tags left over. I assume most of the elk are on private land late in the season right?

I am interested in picking up one of these tags, maybe unit 36? I have never hunted elk before and I am looking for a good experience where I can pack in and see some neat country and hopefully some elk. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good late season cow hunt? My buddy and i have been working out a ton and are in very good shape. We have lightweight gear and good packs. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to give me a couple ideas. Thanks!

Probably the elk will have moved down by Dec. Depends on the snow. Packing in could be quite the job that late. Be prepared to see lots of snow.

Lots of options available. No offense, but you'll have to do your homework. Don't start so open-ended. I started by checking with the full-price tags first because I prefer public land options and typically the discount cow tags are mostly on private land options and checkerboard BLM. By having a full priced tag, then there are typically more public land options.

I see zone 36 and 95 as the two type-4 tags I would check out. As far as discount cow/calf tags, lots of options there. You'll have to narrow it down first.

I was in your shoes last year, literally. I had never hunted elk by myself before and was looking at leftover tags in July. We checked the lists, found a few zones we liked and narrowed it down to one. Bought the tags and we went hunting a few weeks later. Our fall trip was not the best, but we learned a lot. We went back in December and both of us filled our tags.

Last winter was warm and late. The snow literally didn't come until the last few days of the season. It made things interesting and tough. If you're tougher, you will outwork 90% of the guys out there hunting from the road.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back