Caribou Gear Tarp

Late season Mule Deer in SD - Worth Applying for the tag?

iHunt

Hello folks,

I have a week off from Christmas and New Years. While there will be time with the family, I was also thinking of doing a 3-4 day Mule Deer Hunt. It appears that getting a tag in SD would not be too challenging from what I researched. However, that late in the year, will the deer still be on public land? Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible to spot and stalk with archery?

Just looking for some more info!

Well the deer get worked over from rifle season in November so the public land deal gets burned pretty hard. I guess if I were you I wouldn't go with a lot of expectations other than to hunt and if it turns out OK then you did fine. If I had the time I'd go out the first week or two of Nov and hunt before rifle season opens.

I will be hunting whitetails in MN in those weeks. I may elect to go to MT and get an over the counter tag. I dont know if I will make it out this year or not, we are going to MT in September elk hunting so I may be un able to get back out there...

I'd skip MN and go to SD instead if it were me I guess. I hunt in MN too and I'd much rather spend my time in SD. Nicer deer and less people.

We have access to quite a bit of private ground in MN that we do foodplots and habitat management so I am less worried about the number of people. There may be bigger deer in SD though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back