Late monsoons, record El Nino...

Local reports of 6-10 inches in Sept.
Every tank, playa, ditch that can hold water, is.

My big tank has never been this full as long. All the way to the tree plantings. Banks in the tank shows it was 2 feet higher for days.
Had to use 4x4. And make a new streambed crossing. The upstream place is flooded from the well 500 ft away.

Amador's son and buddy hit the skid plates at the well road/stream crossing Sat. They were checking for game cam spots, but lack of tracks show the local story.
Elk scattered to the winds and back.
Food and water everywhere.

Got portable tanks filled and have new 320 coming this week. He will fill the 250 tomorrow on a run.

Lester called and he is not lost...LOL,just getting roads to folks homes open. Has had very success full bow hunt camps he said...looking at a 5x5 and cows as we talked...in his yard.
He'll be here later this week.

72 and clear. No rain forecast for a week.
I'll have plenty of propane and a storage container in. 10 cords of firewood.
Ground surfaces dry.

Jeff's corn is 25% picked.
Plenty of time for cows to wander about.

Oh yeah. Hwy 60 closed near Magdelana, bridge expossed to steel pilons, under foundation.
 
Saw a second porcipine in 2 weeks today, this was a big boy. Heading north through the dead pinions 100 yards from my loop.
Dotti was south and I went that way and souther...and Dotti ran around. Gone now.
Never seen any here in 17 years. Most of the trees show scars from previous visits tho.

Amador sent me a vid of a bull Jr caught jumping the driveway fence at their place last night. BIG boy, could barely get over the fence. Jr has a UW tag.
I sent pics back of water and thick feed,said Soon.
 
Thought I was about finished with weekly mowing last Friday evening but a good ol North Texas spatter soaker Sat/Sun & 85-90 temps changed that....
 
Looks like more coming your way next week, Hank. Hurricane Rachael?
Rachael and Simon just formed to the south.
Chance of showers this weekend and beyond.

I cut two trailer loads of pinion branches and stacked in big row. Winches and chains, snatch blocks.
The Rio burn pile area.
Another couple loads tomorrow and a propane tank getting set.

Set 5 bait stations for rodents this morning. Ground up a chipmunk in the fan when I started the Ford...Grusome.
Dotti is on it big time. She caught two mice in the kitchen.
She ran all afternoon following the circus.

Dozer might show tomorrow too.
 
Indian Summer.
Cool mornings and warm fall days.
Aspens and plums glowing gold in the morning light. Scarlet fire weed and purple gramma seed head flags waving in the wind. Sunflowers.

Dotti got excited when I started a little fire this morning. She barked at the outfitter camp light down the draw.

Harvest in.
Turned the drip on the trees for a good deep soak.
Walk about and a recky on the fire threat of the dead trees to be piled...a lot.
A cuppa and a set on the porch.
Sore old hands. Back and hip telling me, go easy.
Check the cell. Tony says, Leaving yard now will be there between 10 & 11 am.

I hear a bang of metal behind the house...10:30 on the dot.
Tony chaining up a new tank.
One clap and Dotti is in the house. Wow!
I kinda wanted the big one at the house. But I will not have to worry about deliveries .
Tony, said "I have a dozen new customers in area now. Thanks to you."
He asks about the 100G tank. I tell him it's his. Smiles and says it will work perfect for his yard pit and grill.
A handshake and a smile.
Receipt in hand for one new tank. The gas was a perk.
I just gave a kid a chance to prove himself. Taking over a business from dad and showing up.

Followed him out for a dump run and check on meds in PO.
Sat on my porch with my dog all afternoon.
Peter Greene and original FleetwoodMac. Pink Floyd playing on old records.
Start a fire in the pit for tri-tip.
Eat with Jimi playing full blast...Dotti cleans my plate while I chop up a slice to put on the half can of Wetlands.
Happy Dog, I take a shower and in bed by 7:30, beat.

Today is run to big city and avoid Ballooners. Cosmic Crisp apples and string cheese. Cash. Native grass seed and fertilizer.
A lot of new fertile spots for natives now.

Had a great day yesterday, it's a new day now.
Watched song birds feed through trees. A rare flock of Stellars Jays in my trees for an hour.
Dotti in Grandmas wicker chair near me.
I can see the slight smile on her face, and Grandpa with a big grin ,pipe in mouth.

Life is good!
 
Indian Summer.
Cool mornings and warm fall days.
Aspens and plums glowing gold in the morning light. Scarlet fire weed and purple gramma seed head flags waving in the wind. Sunflowers.

Dotti got excited when I started a little fire this morning. She barked at the outfitter camp light down the draw.

Harvest in.
Turned the drip on the trees for a good deep soak.
Walk about and a recky on the fire threat of the dead trees to be piled...a lot.
A cuppa and a set on the porch.
Sore old hands. Back and hip telling me, go easy.
Check the cell. Tony says, Leaving yard now will be there between 10 & 11 am.

I hear a bang of metal behind the house...10:30 on the dot.
Tony chaining up a new tank.
One clap and Dotti is in the house. Wow!
I kinda wanted the big one at the house. But I will not have to worry about deliveries .
Tony, said "I have a dozen new customers in area now. Thanks to you."
He asks about the 100G tank. I tell him it's his. Smiles and says it will work perfect for his yard pit and grill.
A handshake and a smile.
Receipt in hand for one new tank. The gas was a perk.
I just gave a kid a chance to prove himself. Taking over a business from dad and showing up.

Followed him out for a dump run and check on meds in PO.
Sat on my porch with my dog all afternoon.
Peter Greene and original FleetwoodMac. Pink Floyd playing on old records.
Start a fire in the pit for tri-tip.
Eat with Jimi playing full blast...Dotti cleans my plate while I chop up a slice to put on the half can of Wetlands.
Happy Dog, I take a shower and in bed by 7:30, beat.

Today is run to big city and avoid Ballooners. Cosmic Crisp apples and string cheese. Cash. Native grass seed and fertilizer.
A lot of new fertile spots for natives now.

Had a great day yesterday, it's a new day now.
Watched song birds feed through trees. A rare flock of Stellars Jays in my trees for an hour.
Dotti in Grandmas wicker chair near me.
I can see the slight smile on her face, and Grandpa with a big grin ,pipe in mouth.

Life is good!
New Mexico outback poetry by the bard hank4elk!
 
6 hr blow run.
Saw a nice 6x6 with cows just north of the house. A 5x5 following a herd bull w/cows along the lava flows in the Malpais.
Balloons dotted the sky in Burque. Did not get hit.

Dotti greeted me at the door. Helped me unload the spoils.
One hat slept on.

76, clouds building up. Might rain.
Good chance this next week.
Above freezing temps,rain. Bring it.
Snowed on the border w/CO.
 
45, got a little fire going.
Heard some cows and a bull earlier.

Looks like Rachael will make landfall around San Diego...which never happens.
Hard to tell this morning with all the weather faces standing over NM and pointing to the east coast,which is daily.
Most of the moisture heading to CA,AZ,NV,UT. Brushing our border and the 4 corners.

Got a short shower before sunset.
I scored on a half bushel of Chile yesterday. Late xmas ,green, red and orange. Huge pods.
6 roasters and only one was busy. Everyone was taking a million pics of balloons I guess.
Just finished peeling and bagging. Into the freezer. Most.
Excellent flavor with a hint of fire ,which goes away quick.

Opener for rifle. Outfitter camp is dark.
No elks around here...LOL.

Maybe that big boy is out there now. They were only a mile north yesterday after sunrise.
Perfect 6x6, wide. Big 3rds. Length and mass...maybe 320ish
Not a peep since O'dark.

Callabacitos(?) for dinner. Squash,peppers,onion,corn ,bacon on side.
Hanks version.
Just needs a slice of backstrap...I found a small chunk in freezer yesterday. 3 years old and perfect.

Yellow flag on mass lift off. 25mph west winds above.
Local weather still unsure of where mass of moisture will go.
Calm here with a streamer of clouds heading east over the Apache Mtns.

Looks like afternoon showers and low 70's for me.
Dotti just in from silent dawn patrol.
Standing on the corner of the hearth to warm up. Just like Rio did.
She did not see the herd hopping the fence on the north side.

They were here.
 
Winds calmed and shifted . All Balloons up,even the big cow.

Wind out of south now, 40% chance this afternoon.
69 for high.

Saw another bull with 6 cows head south across the open plains. 1/2 mile from that camp.
Dotti is near the trucks waiting for a chipmunk.
Sunny with more clouds right there.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,176
Messages
2,252,322
Members
39,106
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top