Last minute Jitters

ditch the bugle tube and regular flashlight. Bring a spare headlamp and batteries instead. Don’t forget your hunter ed card. Make sure you have your HIP# written down on licences if you want to hunt grouse and make sure they are signed. Load copies of big and small game regs on your phone. Get your OnX off line maps loaded up. I like to bring a pair of lightweight “mechanix”gloves to hunt in. Toss some gallon ziplocks and a garbage bag in, multiple uses. Bring a pen to sign tags. load some games or reading material on your phone for rainy tent time. Do you have a baby powder wind-checker in there?

I'll be honest - if you have your Driver License, Hunting License, Tag, Rifle and ammo, Shelter, rain gear, boots, emergency kit and food .... then even if you forget something you should survive. It will be much better if you remember all your stuff - more comfortable and more enjoyable - but as I keep reminding myself as I keep trying to cut pack size and pack weight many things are just convenience. Looks like a solid lot there to me! Good luck, be safe and have a blast!
I'm going through my gear list (Google Sheet so I can access on my phone and computer anywehre) to check up and double check my list - I leave the 19th for 12 days in the rainy SouthWest Alaska territory.

I guess a follow up - how much of this is living in your truck/main camp and how much are you taking into the back country? And how far are you hiking to camp? I see a few things being doubled and tripled on that just have me wondering.

Quite a bit is being left at the truck, the bigger tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad, hatchet, 2 water filters, extra boots, extra food, flashlights, etc.
Hiking in a bit, 8 miles, but it may be much closer, depending on how the scouting goes.

Quite a bit is being left at the truck, the bigger tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad, hatchet, 2 water filters, extra boots, extra food, flashlights, etc.
Hiking in a bit, 8 miles, but it may be much closer, depending on how the scouting goes.

Lol...not admitting which one of my friends did this...bring ammo-the correct ammo for your gun...

Luckily I came into camp a day late and could pick some up before I left.

😁😂😂😂😂
CORRECT ammo. haha

Back