Caribou Gear Tarp

Last ditch cow Wyoming 7

Loomie

Looking for any advice I can get. I've got next weekend to try and get a cow in unit 7. I've spent 2 weeks hunting pretty hard putting on lots miles along with a couple extra weekend when I could go. This is my first year ever elk hunting for myself and I can honestly say it's been the best time of my life, it's incredible. Got lucky enough to find a private ranch to hunt on but had trouble finding cows, my buddy got one but it's the only one we've seen. Saw a lot of bulls, 23 actually, but we're never able to pin a cow with them.

I just talked to the landowner and was told that the herd has moved to their wintering Meadows and pry won't be on their place again till spring. Was hoping someone might have a suggestion on places to go for a last ditch attempt at a cow next weekend?

No sir, worked the private ranch. Kept seeing bulls so stuck with it thinking a cow would show up eventually.

The HMA's are a good bet, I know a few guys who hunted on the Belle Otte ranch and had success, another place you might want to check out is above wheatland 3.

Never hunted Wyoming, but spent a bunch of time working out of Wheatland. Seems like there is a bunch of public access out by the reservoir and up towards the hills. mtmuley

Yes they are on winter ground now and some more snow coming. The HMA's will be your best bet. They will be hard to find up in the Laramie Range now.Several walk in area too. Go to the G&F website to public access and walkin area map. Call the warden too, both are great guys and have info, Laramie office my have some info too.

Damn I love late-season cow hunting, BUT it can be very problematic with the weather. Good luck on the rest of your hunt. I have even considered that unit a time or two, but never pulled the trigger.

Back