Caribou Gear Tarp

Lasik

Go in for a consultation. The doctor can tell you if you're a good candidate or not. I was told I'd have less than 1% chance of a negative outcome. I'd worn contacts/glasses for 30 years. Finally I got to where I couldn't wear contacts for more than 8 hours without them getting scratchy and irritating. So in February 2015, I paid the $4,500 and did it. Absolutely the best money I've spent. I only wish I'd have done it sooner.

I had great eyesight as a kid and then after looking at a computer screen at work for 8 hours a day for 10 years or so had to get glasses because I became near sighted. Wore them for 10 years or so and then when I went to get new glasses my prescription for one eye was zero correction and like +.25 in the other. The eye doctor recommended taking my glasses off when I worked and only wearing them when driving or needing to see far. Now I don't wear glasses at all and am thinking in a few more years I may have to start using reading glasses.

Pretty happy that I didn't get Lasik now.

My wife had Lasik when she was 18 or 19. She's 33 now and has had to wear glasses or contacts again for the past 6 years. She suspects it is due to all the reading she had to do in medical school...

Another thing to consider...If you are getting cataracts it would be a waste of money to get Lasik prior to cataract surgery. But if the cataract surgery doesn't get you optimal correction you can still get Lasik after.

I'm going to try to bring this one back here. Those who had Lasik did any of you finance it? I have my consultation coming up here at the end of the month and depending on what the finally price is going to be I might need to finance it somehow. Didn't know if you guys had better luck going through the doctors office or getting a personal loan. Pricewise I've heard everything from $1500-$2500 per eye I'll find out more on the 25th

I'm going to try to bring this one back here. Those who had Lasik did any of you finance it? I have my consultation coming up here at the end of the month and depending on what the finally price is going to be I might need to finance it somehow. Didn't know if you guys had better luck going through the doctors office or getting a personal loan. Pricewise I've heard everything from $1500-$2500 per eye I'll find out more on the 25th

Does your insurance off a FSA or HSA? If they do, figure out what it will cost and put that much into the account. Then you get to pay for it with tax free money throughout the year. You'll have to wait until 2018 but might not be a bad way to go

I've thought about doing it. I'm far sighted...with a lazy eye. My left eye is perfect. Right eye not so much. My problem is I'm right handed. I thought it would be a lot more expensive than it actually is. I just finished building my own house. So I'm really thinking about looking into it next year.

I'm considering getting Lasik as well after 20 years of glasses and contacts. What I've done is find the most qualified and experienced doctor in my area. Lucky for me his office is right down the street and he's the only board-certified laser surgeon in my corner of the state and comes very highly recommended.

As others have said, find a reputable doc to get the assessment done. But then get a second opinion. My dad ended up with a doctor who was doing literally dozens of these surgeries per day. He ended up doing the wrong eye on my dad and it's taken years to get it corrected.

I got LASIK 10 years ago, and in my opinion it was money well spent. I could see better then 20/20 instantly. Forgot the exact number my eyes eventually settled at. It was amazing. Driving at night was so much more pleasurable then with contacts or glasses.

In prep for spring bear I noticed that my right eye wasn't all there. Got an appointment to see what was going on. Left eye is 20/20 while my right eye is 30/20. With both eyes open I still have 20/20 vision, but that don't do me to well when looking through my peep lol. Doc who is also my neighbor got me disposable one day contacts for my right eye just for hunting. They say 10 years is about the point when things start turning around again, so I'm happy. If you get it stay up with your yearly eye exams so you can get free adjustments down the road.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get it unless your farsightedness is really bad. Otherwise, wear reading glasses. I'd do it for nearsightedness. It is my understanding that the flap that is cut in your cornea never heals because collagen is not a living tissue. Collagen in younger eyes will crosslink more than in older eyes. Think of it as stacking two layers of glass. You can still see through it fine, but there's some refraction that can happen, especially at low light conditions. This manifests itself as halos around lights at night. To the OP, I wouldn't get it done if you're far sighted.
You'll also have dry eyes for a while.
Having said that, I'm really happy with mine. 9 years ago. I've been seeing perfectly ever since. I was nearsighted. I paid out of pocket. The most expensive purchase I've ever made. I didn't go with the cheapest option, but went with a guy who participated in research and development on the technique. Technology changes rapidly, so I'm not sure if there's a non-interlase option anymore, but I'd make sure they are cutting the flap in the cornea with a laser 'interlase' rather than a microtome.

My Lasiks was 16 years years ago and my eyes are still perfect. I did my pre evaluation in Billings, Mt and then drove to Calgary, Alberta to have it done. Price back then was 999.00. I believe it is about 500.00 now for both eyes. They also did/do more surgeries than any doctors in the US. I don't know if this is still an option for people but it was great and affordable at the time.

I guess you'd have to consult the doctor on that one. It's possible. They told me it's a potential side effect for some people. I didn't notice any change. My wife said her night time driving vision was slightly effected but she had an older type of procedure (the blade method).

I too had the "blade" RK surgery (radial keratotomy or something like that). I have the "starburst" effect at night when looking at taillights and other red lights. Not so noticeable with bright white or yellow lights. Not sure if it is the same side effects, but my eyes are more sensitive to the light, seems like I am squinting all the time when outside, and I had the procedure 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Is it worth it?

I'm far sighted, so driving and such is a piece of cake, but right in front of my is a blur.

Save your money. :) If you can see far away Lasik wont give you anything that you don't already have. If you were NEARsighted and a hunter I would tell you to get it done in a heart beat. As one or two people stated below your original post, you are not really suffering from a refractive error if you can see well far away. You are dealing with presbyopia. This is the condition where the crystalline lens in the eye that does our focusing....wears out with age. As others have stated it does diminish contrast a little bit and can make eyes a little more dry. There are some new things coming down the line that will allow you do some reading. These are minor refractive surgery procedures that are still being researched and tested by FDA. There are some old standby options as well. My favorite for my patients that spend a lot of time outside is to put a contact (extended wear, can wear it for almost an entire elk hunt...I wear mine the entire time and carry a couple spares. I usually only have to take them out once during a 7-8 day hunt) in their NON DOMINANT eye. I usually choose a bifocal lens that allows for some reading with minimal inhibition of distance. Since its in the NON dominant eye you hardly notice any difference in vision far away and you can then see to do some basic near tasks. It doesnt have any affect on shooting either. They don't perform as well in low light conditions though. You can dial in your oculars of your binos to minimize the distance blur in that eye. Hope this answers your questions. I have a ton of patients who spend a lot of time outdoors and one of my favorite parts of my job is helping them better see and help them with these situations like what you are dealing with.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back