Laser Cutter for wood - you got one?

seeth07

Who has one? I need reviews and recommendations. Needs to be able to cut 1/4-3/8" softwoods and also the ability to engrave the wood with text and simple lines. I'm buying one for an idea I have to make a bunch of money. I saw some low quality crap a guy was making and found the same crap online priced ridiculously high. I'm going to drastically improve the quality by not mass producing the garbage they are putting out and sell at the same price effectively paying off the machine after just selling a dozen or so (depending how expensive you guys recommend).

Anyone?

You talking about something like a plasmacam?
I have not heard of them, looks to be a company in CO and maybe why you are familiar with them.

I'm not looking for a high powered system, something in the 40W to 75W range due to my use just being almost entirely soft wood (might mess around with some other stuff). Looks like the plasmacam company produces some large units for cutting large metals.

I am looking for something a bit larger than craft level types. Some of the shapes that I will be looking to cut are going to be larger than 2'x2' and most craft level type cutters seem to have working areas in or under that size. Ideally the unit would have a working surface more like 4'x3' but I could always split my shapes in half and piece them together.

Mines for metal, don't know much about the co2 units.
Yes, for sure likely looking at a CO2 unit. No real reason to spend twice as much. Just curious, what metal one do you have and do you like it or wish you had something else?

Yes, for sure likely looking at a CO2 unit. No real reason to spend twice as much. Just curious, what metal one do you have and do you like it or wish you had something else?
I've got a 50w JPT galvo fiber. If I had the money I'd get an 80w MOPA.

I'd love an industrial unit but if I'm dropping that kind of money it'll be on a cnc.

I've got a 50w JPT galvo fiber. If I had the money I'd get an 80w MOPA.

I'd love an industrial unit but if I'm dropping that kind of money it'll be on a cnc.
If we lived closer to each other I'd totally consider a business partnership on usage of such a machine...my mom has worked for a place that manufacturers cnc machines for the last 35 years and as much as I would love to buy something from her company, I can't even remotely think about dropping that kind of money on one.

I've been looking into UV lasers recently, you can do some impressive stuff with them. That's a down the line thing though. Too many irons in the fire as it is.

I've been looking into UV lasers recently, you can do some impressive stuff with them. That's a down the line thing though. Too many irons in the fire as it is.
I have all kinds of ideas of what I would love to do with some fancy expensive machines but the reality for my current idea/plan is I really only need a 40W CO2 machine. The only obstacle is the table/working size as most of the craft ones that sell for 1k-2k have tables in the range of 12"-20" which would make cutting shapes that are 4' long a pain to do it in three cuts.

I have all kinds of ideas of what I would love to do with some fancy expensive machines but the reality for my current idea/plan is I really only need a 40W CO2 machine. The only obstacle is the table/working size as most of the craft ones that sell for 1k-2k have tables in the range of 12"-20" which would make cutting shapes that are 4' long a pain to do it in three cuts.
You're looking at some big money for a full size bed I think.

You're looking at some big money for a full size bed I think.

Something like this. 4k-8k range doesn't scare me. What I'm making will sell for $300-$800 depending on size so I should be able to pay it off quickly.

Something like this. 4k-8k range doesn't scare me. What I'm making will sell for $300-$800 depending on size so I should be able to pay it off quickly.
That's not bad. I was thinking 10k minimum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back