Large Gatherings on Public Land and Hunting

jscar1230

I am just curious if anyone has experience hunting an area close to where there is a large gathering of people? My son drew a tag for Archery Elk here in CO. Its not a great tag but gives him better odds than hunting OTC according to GoHunt. I found out this week there is a large gathering of people (somewhere in the tens of thousands) who are gathering around 15 miles from where we intend to hunt. I am sure with the amount of people coming to this "event" they will spill out into surrounding areas to camp. I understand that this may continue through July. Any input would be helpful. I am not sure about abandoning the area and looking elsewhere. Just curious if anyone has experience with very large groups in close proximity to your hunting grounds and how it affected the animals? Thanks in advance.

The biggest gathering of people I've ever seen while hunting was CO second rifle OTC, thousands of them every, and yeah they really messed up the hunting. At least the rainbow folk are in one predictable spot, once you know where they are easy to avoid. Or go say hi for some evening entertainment.

The biggest gathering of people I've ever seen while hunting was CO second rifle OTC, thousands of them every, and yeah they really messed up the hunting. At least the rainbow folk are in one predictable spot, once you know where they are easy to avoid. Or go say hi for some evening entertainment.
Agreed. I am sure the "sea of orange" in rifle season would be far more disrupting!

Covid "refugee" camps (Seattle-ite tent cities) in the Little Belts, 2020. Cascading disaster. They wrecked everything. Overwhelmed bathrooms. Trash all over the place. Left gates open and cattle got where they shouldn't. Cattle then had to be moved elsewhere, ahead of grazing plan. Elk weren't where they should have been (according to the guides), and hunters were hunting farther in. I learned a lot, but the overall experience was bad enough that I didn't go back to hunt the pockets that seemed they would hold elk every year.

I am just curious if anyone has experience hunting an area close to where there is a large gathering of people? My son drew a tag for Archery Elk here in CO. Its not a great tag but gives him better odds than hunting OTC according to GoHunt. I found out this week there is a large gathering of people (somewhere in the tens of thousands) who are gathering around 15 miles from where we intend to hunt. I am sure with the amount of people coming to this "event" they will spill out into surrounding areas to camp. I understand that this may continue through July. Any input would be helpful. I am not sure about abandoning the area and looking elsewhere. Just curious if anyone has experience with very large groups in close proximity to your hunting grounds and how it affected the animals? Thanks in advance.
yeah the Rainbow family....shouldn't affect you during the season on animal movements. Once things calm down they will go back to normal. 15 miles away won't even notice..

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back