Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Large-bottomed ATV riders

If they close off the number of forest roads that was originally proposed and they did it for atv, vehicles and horses you would be camping in groups of hundreds in small areas in this state during a hunt. Horses don't maintain or create squat in AZ, the roads all over this state were created by skidders and cats for logging. I am OK with whatever they do as long as they close them to all types of transportation. I can still hike farther than most young guys anyway.

Looks like the BS is getting deep in this thread already:

"camping in groups of hundreds in small areas in this state during a hunt."

They dont issue enough permits to have hundreds camped in small areas.

Hehe...deep indeed. This is a touchy issue and we've discussed it here before. There are pricks who have ruined it for the rest of us that do it ethically. Sad to see where this is going.

The funny thing about ATV internet talk is no one has ever gone off road.................it is like a bunch of little kids denying everything.

I have been off road three times in the last 12 years and that was to get an elk out and it was perfectly legal. Now for you Buzz, if they close 90% of the logging roads in unit 6A and there are 700 elk hunters plus their families and freinds where the hell do you think they will all camp? The unit is not that big and it is only accessible from one side. Pull your foot out of your mouth.

I have been off road three times in the last 12 years and that was to get an elk out and it was perfectly legal. Now for you Buzz, if they close 90% of the logging roads in unit 6A and there are 700 elk hunters plus their families and freinds where the hell do you think they will all camp?

Is this scenerio considering the fact that most hunters hunt from their house, some from motels, and some from designated camp grounds. Do you think that all people camp that hunt..

Around here in Western Montana everyone was puting camps in the spots that they intended to hunt, claiming it from anyone else... If they all start at dark in the same camp, then everyone would have the same chance once daylight came. ATVs have, in a short time span, taken over everything except the wilderness area's.. My two cents.

Ringer- Just think, In your area, if they shut down motorized access, you will have a much better chance at 1)getting a tag and 2) getting an animal. You just have to be willing to get off the atv and hike. A fair trade if you ask me. It will more than likely get rid of Mr. Joe Fat-Ass ATVer.

Guilty! I have been off marked trails on both sport and utility quads. It's not something I make a habit of, but a lot of trails are only wide enough for a quad or side-by-side, so when someone is going the opposite direction as you, someone has to pull over. :D

Like others have mentioned, with increased quad activity, I changed how I hunt. After having ATVs whiz by me in the wee hours of the morning on a hike to a spot, I was like screw it. I'll ride up as close as I can get and hike in from there. They can road hunt and stir the animals and I'll be waiting for the animals to run through my sights. :D

Like others have mentioned, with increased quad activity, I changed how I hunt. After having ATVs whiz by me in the wee hours of the morning on a hike to a spot, I was like screw it. I'll ride up as close as I can get and hike in from there.

A perfect example of why we should just ban them on public lands. It's the whole attitude, "Well he's doing it, I might as well do it too."

Ringer,

I've hunted 6A, even if they did close 90% of the roads down, there would be plenty of places to "camp". Plus, try to keep your BS half way believable, the FS will not be closing down 90% of the roads in 6A or any other unit in Arizona.

I camp in Wilderness areas all the time...and I dont have horses or an atv.

Buzz, is there any circumstance where you would consider using an atv? Just curious.

Buzz-you are full of shit. When you hunted the unit there were camps every few hundred yards throughout. Just take all those camps and put them on the major forest roads and it will be like a hillbilly family reunion. How wild did you feel in 6A? Arizona is so covered with roads that there will be no impact unless they shut down huge areas and keep the dunebuggies and pickups out as well. I am all for it by the way. I always hike at least a couple miles from a road and straight up. I have found that if I hike a mile then there are very few hunters to compete with because they stay in the trucks or on the quads. There are no horses here. If a hunter saw one he would shoot it from the road.

Ringer,

When I hunted 6A I saw exactly 2 people...both fat-assed and on atv's. Both were riding legally, but both bitched to me that they had "ridden all over for the last couple days and havent seen a single javelina".

Didnt have the heart to tell them that I was watching a herd of 23 javelinas as my buddy closed the last 30 yards on a stalk that ended with one very dead javelina. Didnt see a single "camp" the entire time either.

I hunted unit 22 for coues deer the next year and saw exactly ZERO other hunters and not one camp. Thats what happens when you hike and hunt wilderness areas.

NHY,

No good reason for an atv in any of the areas I currently hunt.

Not exactly honest about hunting 6A then if you were there for pigs. Not exactly a prime unit but I have seen some giants right in the woods while elk hunting. You try the same thing during archery elk and you will think you are hunting in the middle of town. I do agree that it is easy to slip away from most people if you just hike a bit.

Ringer,

Try 100% honest.

I didnt fabricate a story like you did with your fairy-tale about the FS wanting to shut down 90% of the roads in 6A.

I have no idea what the final deal is but the initial proposals were fairly restrictive. So which road numbers are being closed in 6A since you have all the scoop? While your at it give me the numbers for 5BS so I can get ready for my campathon.

A perfect example of why we should just ban them on public lands. It's the whole attitude, "Well he's doing it, I might as well do it too."

I don't disagree...it would be great if they were banned from being used during hunting. That would level the playing field and force everyone to hike! :D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back