Lapua "long range" .22lr ammo

millerkiller77

Anybody try these out yet? "Long range" for targets up to 100 yards and " super long range" for targets beyond 100 yards. Both are pushing a 40gr pill at 1106fps ... so other than the gay name, what's the difference between the two?
At ~.50cpr I'm hesitant to try them out..Screenshot_20230208_172134.jpgScreenshot_20230208_172151.jpgScreenshot_20230208_172001.jpgScreenshot_20230208_171948.jpg

This in no way answers your question, but if I’m going primo on .22 ammo I’m going Eley just cause I like the smell of whatever primer mix they use.

Weird though, Lapua’s trajectory charts look identical between the two.

1675906926810.png
1675906946396.png

This in no way answers your question, but if I’m going primo on .22 ammo I’m going Eley just cause I like the smell of whatever primer mix they use.

Weird though, Lapua’s trajectory charts look identical between the two.

View attachment 263961
View attachment 263962
Do you actually target shoot your. 22lr out to and beyond 200 yards?

Man they missed a golden opportunity to add the word “match”!

I’m holding out for Lapua Super Duper Long Range Match, personally.

Lapua, Eley, and Fiocchi all shoot great in my 22’s. Fiocchi super match shoots excellent and used to be reasonably priced but I bet those days are gone.

Man they missed a golden opportunity to add the word “match”!

I’m holding out for Lapua Super Duper Long Range Match, personally.

Lapua, Eley, and Fiocchi all shoot great in my 22’s. Fiocchi super match shoots excellent and used to be reasonably priced but I bet those days are gone.
Hornady has the market cornered on the "super" tag line.
I've had great results with Eley but all the other 22 " match " ammo seems to be consistently inconsistent.

When I was shooting 4 position indoor small bore in college in the 80's, I thought that $7-8/box for Eley Tenex was outrageous. Wish that I had purchased a few cases. I regularly shoot 150-200 yds at varmints, definitely not competition though.

I don't know about the two Lapua loads in question, but their Center-X is pretty common at matches. Like any ammo you need to test a few out to find what your rifle likes, but most of the match type ammo beats the bulk stuff handily. The PRS 22 matches here reach out 350 to 400 yards typically. There's quite a following who take plinkin' very seriously.

Might also be that the Super Long Range were the lots that exhibited better accuracy, CCI does that with their ammo.

I imagine the Super Long Range are the lots that had lower velocity standard deviation. Vertical dispersion of a 22lr at long range (300+ yards) is pretty crazy, so more consistent velocity will help.

High end .22 stuff is all about consistency and precision and not ballistics. The faster supersonic stuff is typically not preferred.

A lot of serous rimfire shooters send their rifles to lapua to test 8 or so different lots of ammo then they help source a pile of ammo in the preferred lot. https://www.capstonepg.com/rpc/

Personally I’ve had best luck in general with accuracy in the nice but not crazy expensive realm with SK Standard + ammo.

I’ve read that the difference between lapua center x and Midas is just how they shoot in test barrels. Not sure if it’s true but I could see these new rounds just being another extension of that.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back