Land Rover Defender hunting rig?

This statement is different than what I have been told so far. My understanding is that the vehicle needs to be over 25 years old (to the day) from the date of manufacture to fall under the “classic car” exemption. I think if you tried to import anything manufactured between 1998-2004 right now you would be denied and potentially get into trouble. I believe Land Rover lost the visa to import new vehicles for sale in 1998.
Yes that sounds right, I got my sums wrong.(y)

It isn't, maybe I didn't make it clear, it's to do with emission's, and the Land Rover defender's manufactured since 2004 are not permitted to be imported into the US as it fails US standards, any Defender built prior to 2004 is considered a 'classic' and is exempt.
Ah, gotcha. I was ready to grab my three point hat, musket, & “no step on snek” flag, and take this fight to the tyrants in Washington who would deny Americans their god-given right to import vehicles with galvanized frames! ;)

Ah, gotcha. I was ready to grab my three point hat, musket, & “no step on snek” flag, and take this fight to the tyrants in Washington who would deny Americans their god-given right to import vehicles with galvanized frames! ;)
The galvanized frames come into play on imports because the frames need to have the identical ID number for the vehicle stamped into them. Once galvanized the stamp is not legible so the visual check cannot be confirmed. They can be galvanized the day after a successful import. I get the impression that the vehicles in the US get modified significantly once they arrive.

The stamping of the chassis is not something we are accustomed to paying attention to. I’m unsure if US spec vehicles even have the stamps.

We have a Land Cruiser, wouldn't trade it for 10 Land Rovers. A friend of mine bought a brand new Defender a few months ago, it's never been off the pavement, and pieces of it have literally just fallen off on the highway.
The new defenders are barf.

Which model of land cruiser do you have? I'd like a 79 series.

The new defenders are barf.

Which model of land cruiser do you have? I'd like a 79 series.

A 79 would be great, I've never even seen one on the road. I've aways wanted to restore/build out a 60-series. We weren't even looking but stumbled into a 200-series with 75K on it that my wife drives now, it's been awesome in every situation-road trips, camping, heavy snow, mountains, mud, and I've left it totally stock except for the tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back