Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lady friendly elk calibers and model?

My girlfriend is very new to shooting and pretty lights out with my 7-08. That recoil doesn’t phase her at all even being new to it all.

A 120gr bullet in a 25-06 will match any of the above recommendations, sans the 300wsm, . The only discernible killing difference is between your ears.

If she is comfortable and familiar with her 25-06 don't change it up because you think you need more oomph. The unfamiliarity will be as much or more of a handicap.

Granddaughter 7mm-08 Weatherby Camilla 150 Partition
Daughter 280 A.I. Custom 150 Scirocco
Myself ( in the past ) 300 H & H Custom 180 and 200 Partition, Woodleigh, Norma, Bitterroot

If you are looking for a budget friendly setup, I went with the Thompson Center Compass in 30-06 for my wife and son. It comes with a threaded barrel. I added muzzle brakes to both. My wife and son where a bit recoil sensitive and the muzzle brakes took care of that. Add a scope and you are set. The T/C Compass is available in a ton of calibers and going for roughly $250 makes for an attractive rifle.

I shot a spike bull a few years back at 350 yards with a 25-06 using a 120 gr Nosler Partition. He did not travel maybe 30 yards before going down. I let a young man shoot a cow with the same rifle and load shoot his first elk which was a nice cow at 250 yards. She ran about 50 yards and went down. The 25-06 is just fine. Main thing is she shoots it well and it does not frighten her. Confidence is key. Using excellent bullets help also. Hard to beat either the 115 or 120 gr. Partition for the task at hand, or the equally effective 110 gr. Accubond.

David

My wife 5’6. Small frame

She has a xbolt predator 6.5 creed With muzzlebreak . 147gr ELD-m
She has no problem with recoil and shoots it very well

SHe thinks my .308 kicks hard. And therefore she dosnt shoot it very well.

My wife shoots a Browning Micro Midas, 7mm-08, 140 gr. Nosler Partitions (Federal Premium), 2 X 7 Leupold compact. She has taken many whitetails and a few elk with that set up.
My wife shoots the same rifle and loves it. Great little rifle. She checked out several others including a Tikka, the Savage Lady Hunter, and Weatherby Camilla. Liked Browning the best.

Mine shoots Hornady reduced recoil loads for whitetail, but can easily shoot full power loads when needed. Hers wears a Leupuld VX5 2-10x42

The key is letting her handle different guns and choose what she is most comfortable with.

I bought my wife a Savage Lady Hunter In 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not recommend them, the short 20 barrels are not great and at Max it is a 300 yard rifle on a good day.

Savage makes a rifle specifically for the purpose of hunting women? Damn, that's hardcore.

If your friend is a confident accurate shooter then I'd agree the .25-06 with premium ammunition should be good. But to truly tame recoil and the related effects of muzzle blast and noise the best way is with a suppressor. IMO, a lightweight, short barrel suppressed rifle is ideal. I found ideal in the Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08. It's super lightweight, easy to carry and a remarkably soft shooter. I suppose it comes down to how much ideal your willing to invest in.

Kimber-Adirondack-&-Omega-300.jpg111201

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back