Labor Day elk anyone?

I won't be chasing elk tail this Labor Day...chasing the wife though. Er, I mean, getting a birthday celebration going for her - this will be the first time in quite a few years that I'll be home for her birthday. Scoring points! :D

Will definitely be hunting, just not quite how or where I'd prefer. The wives want to camp(truck camp of course) so it looks like a buddy and I will be hunting hard by day and entertaining them by night. Never bad to come back to a full hot meal that you don't have to make yourself though...

Had great action opening weekend last year, hopefully we can arrow one this time.

I'll be hunting in Central Mountain chasing elk in the mornings and evenings and hunting grouse during the middle of the day with my yellow lab.

My partner and I are leaving for some high country in Colorado for elk on Aug 31 and don't have to be back until September 11. Closest thing to heaven I can come up with on earth. Good luck to everyone.

At least here in NW MT, I think the elk are going to be scattered far and wide this September. It's amazing how lush the high country is. Usually, i figure those little seeps will hold a herd or two, but there is no shortage of feed and water from what I can tell.

Have 25 days this bow season allocated for elk starting with the first week of the season. Should be a good one..... going to set up game cams this weekend. Best of luck to all!

At least here in NW MT, I think the elk are going to be scattered far and wide this September. It's amazing how lush the high country is. Usually, i figure those little seeps will hold a herd or two, but there is no shortage of feed and water from what I can tell.

The heards I have found have been scattered but still within a good days hike of eachother.

YUP....in the morning darkness of opening day I will be set up in a ambush spot in a mountain saddle at about 9500 ft. The trail cams have been soaking for about a month now and next weekend i'm gonna go pull them. the trail through this saddle, which looks like a cattle trail (and theres no moo cows in the area...ever) heads to one of the only water sources around. we've killed in this saddle in the past and i sure hope it goes down opening morning this year as the wife is pregnant and due anytime peak rut...gotta get er' done early. I'm anxious to see whats on the cameras...if there's anything good i'll post em up.

Labor Day and up to 40 more days if necessary!

I found out a couple of weeks ago that I drew the Premium Limited Entry tag for the Beaver, Utah unit as an alternate (the guy who beat the 1 in 95 draw odds tuned it in for some reason). This means I get to hunt Archery Aug. 20 - Sept. 16 and if I don't bag the biggest on the mountain during that hunt I get to keep trying the rest of September and into October during the rifle and muzzleloader hunts. For those who don't know, Beaver is widely considered one of the top three units in Utah for trophy potential, and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to chase and bag a true trophy.

I have 3 straight weeks scheduled off work in September and a few more 3 day weekends planned, totalling up to 40 days in the field if necessary. Holding out for a 370+ bull.

I will be out making the most of my montana resident over the counter general elk tag :) can't wait and i love the fact that i know even if i don't draw a unique or elite tag, i still get to to chase elk over the counter in my great home state of MT

Back