Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kuiu vs, Kifaru

I'm sure Kifaru is better. Is it as much better as it is more expensive? Highly unlikely. If money isn't an issue try out Kifaru if you've narrowed it down to those too.
Personally, I can't think of any reason to buy anything other than a stone glacier.

Then there's always mystery ranch, if carrying excessively heavy bags is your thing. They are solid.

Last edited:
It still does, especially the gloves! It has actually worked better on my pack.

It's been years since I actually played. I built a backyard rink at the house this year, found an old net and put up end boards. Dug out the old gear, Still stinks!! I had a blast for the few weeks the ice was around....

Seek Outside Unaweep. Favorite pack of all time!
And there is one for sale on Massdrop right now.

Definitely Kifaru over Kuiu my brother in law cracked the frame on two different kuiu packs in two consecutive years packing elk, neither time was he packing all that much weight or trying to pick it up in a weird position that might put undue strain on the frame.

That said I would seriously look at mystery ranch and stone glacier. If you are a thinner guy then absolutely SG, I'm 6' 150lbs and the SG frame and belt fits me way better then the mystery ranch. Also despite weighing nothing compared to the other packs SGs are bomber packs I'm 7-8 hefty packouts into mine with very little noticeable wear and I will personally attest their 150lb plus load rating is absolutely accurate.

As others have mentioned, the Kifaru is a superior pack to the Kuiu. Its just in a different league and their customer service is top notch. One of the members on here actually let me borrow his Kifaru pack. It only served as a daypack for me on a winter hunt, but it was a very nice pack and very well made and designed.

All that being said, when I set out to purchase my own pack, I was not interested in purchasing such an expensive pack. I settled on two packs, the Exo Mountain and the Kuiu Icon Pro. I read all of the complaints against the Kuiu and I found they all settled on two things, early frame issues and people trying to go ultralight with the Ultra packs. The Kuiu Ultra saves weight in many ways, including in the padding of the suspension.

I purchased the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. I really like the pack. It has served me well. I packed into Wyoming backcountry last september and it performed very well. It took me a few adjustments to find how the hip belt should ride on my body, but once I found the proper fit, I LOVE this pack. '
I used it again in December and the pack hauled out a cow elk. I had zero issues with the pack and it functioned great with the quarters placed in the load sling.

If you're comparing the two, they are not in the same league. However, the Kuiu Icon Pro has been a great pack for me and I think you'll find most people complain about the Ultra packs. It doesn't sound like you're chasing ounces so that shouldn't be on your list anyway.

Jumping in with both feet on the pack. The only thing I've had for packs is military (ALICE and MOLLE) and then a Eberlestock X2 that was too small for my needs. I have used Kuiu clothing and been very satisfied so I hope their packs live up to that expectation. With the sale they just had I picked up a Ultra 6000 to use as my long range/long time pack and then icon pro 1850 and 3200 bags. I will return whichever of the icon bags doesn't fit the bill as a 2-4 day pack. I like the load shelf capability of the Kuiu packs and how they demonstrated it in the videos and the modularity of the frame to suspension to bag system at a lower cost than Kifaru. Plus-- I can guarantee it will be light years better than my old Army packs.

I would check Rokslide classifieds everyday. You should be able to pick up a deal on a pack, any of those top end ones mentioned. You just need to be check frequently because lots of other people are too and good deals get snatched quick!

^^^This is how I ended up buying my Kifaru pack and belt. And you're not kidding, they can be gone within minutes from the first post. Another potential problem can be finding exactly what style/color/model you want. I ended up getting a different color belt than pack since i bought from two different people. But I call that better camouflage! :p Plus it's easier for me to tell the difference between my pack and my hunting parners, who has the same pack/belt.

I own Kifaru and have since 2011. If I was in the market now I might take a hard look at the new exomountain gear frame.

Just out of curiosity, what's the issue with Jason H and Don P?

Oh gosh, that's too big a question for this post, do a little searching on those names on this site and the Kuiu Blog (esp. the comments section), then report back.

For what it is worth, I have a Seek Outside Unaweep and really like it. Just this morning I also tried an EXO with 65lbs in it and it felt really nice. Mystery Ranch makes super durable packs that will last forever, but there is a bit of a weight penalty, if you are worried about that. I really want to try a Kifaru some day, I hear they are excellent. I also hear they are a little stiffer than most of the others. And Stone Glacier gets rave reviews also.

As for Kuiu, one my hunting buddies had his carbon frame snap in 2 pieces on him. That was enough to make me stay away.

Well after reading everyone's comments and lots of my own research I pulled the trigger over the weekend and went with the Kifaru Timberline 1 bag. Living by the moto buy once cry once and went with the pack that I think will last a loooonggg time and is top quality. This will be a long cry though as that was one expensive set up. Thank you to everyone for the input.

Last year I hunted with a young man who used a Kuiu pack and he really liked its utility (configuration of pockets and ability to go small) and the way that it carried with moderate weight. He indicated that he loaded it up with weight (don't recall how much weight) getting ready for our CO 1st season elk hunt and it did well. I have two packs that I use for most backpack hunts; a 2nd generation Kifaru Longhunter with duplex system and an Eberlestock J34. The Kifaru will carry weight more comfortably but, I like the utility of the J34.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back