KUIU Sleeping Bag....gearhead thoughts?

Looks interesting to me.

A 15° bag under 2 pounds, and a 0° degree bag under 3 pounds.

The prices do seem high, even compared to top end mountaineering bags.

Stretchy fabric like the Montbell UL SS Hugger series could be intriguing for broader shoulder guys. No doubt they are very high quality but appear to be built for small guys with deep pockets, backpack hunting in wet climates.

Get one for this year and give us a report on how it does in the Colorado Rockies - if you don't like it, sell it to me. It looks sweet! Make sure you get it in LONG :)
>>850 down has to be flaming warm - my 600 fill still lofts wonderflly.

For the price I'll keep the known winners from Valandre and WM. Kuiu acts like they invented vertical baffles, stretchy fabric, and DWR. I bet they're nice bags but quixdown isn't enough of a draw for me to even consider these over the Val. Mirage or Shocking Blue. In a wetter climate I could probably justify trying them.

On a similar note, tent and sleeping bag markets are about as saturated as any outdoor product. Kuiu already seems to have whiffed on their pack sales, and I don't see this going well either. They appear to do well with outerwear and primarily compete with just one or two other makers. Hopefully they do well, I just have my doubts about the business model.

On a similar note, tent and sleeping bag markets are about as saturated as any outdoor product. Kuiu already seems to have whiffed on their pack sales, and I don't see this going well either. They appear to do well with outerwear and primarily compete with just one or two other makers. Hopefully they do well, I just have my doubts about the business model.

Maybe the boot market?:D

SM, I appreciate your insight.

The business model is great as long as they are delivering value, which the outerwear line does. However, the sleeping bag doesn't appear to fit that mold and I have my doubts about the tent. Though, KUIU does have a loyal following, including myself. Maybe that is Jason's play that he has built brand identity and is betting that loyalists will buy the bag and tent. Which, if I had to guess, he is earning higher margins on compared to the outerwear line as guys may purchase new stuff every 2 or 3 years.

I think this is where I draw the line on kuiu gear. I followed jasons blog when he was coming up with the idea of ultra light weight mountain gear, and was really excited to see the company grow.

But, the move to China, lack of inventory, crazy wait times, lack of transparency, and now super high pricing has pushed me away. I think his clothing line is pretty top notch, but his miss directed focus on crappy packs, boots, tents, sleeping bags has caused the clothing to take a back seat. I'll wear my current kuiu clothing until it fails and then move on. I see no reason to support jason and kuiu anymore.

If I was in the market, I'd look at Enlightened Equipment quilts. You can choose your down fill (including Downtek), water-resistant material at foot and top areas, choose your colors for inside and out. These are built to order in Winona MN and wait times are a couple weeks.

My 0* quilt is < 2lbs, and $550 less than a Kuiu sleeping bag, but i don't have the treated down though.

That is my $0.02, I have no affiliation with the company, just found them to be a great choice in high-end, affordable sleep systems. They don't make anything besides sleeping quilts. I researched about every bag out there and even crawled into a bunch of them.

I've read over on rokslide that the material in the Kuiu bag is not as stretchy as the Montbell spiral bags.

I got the Kuiu e-mail the other day and thought those bags looked pretty expensive. I didn't even know sleeping bags got that expensive. Since I've got really wide shoulders I'd prefer to test my next bag before buying.
I too have to wonder how well some of these new lines will do. I like companies that do one thing really well, not ones that do a little of this and a little of that, etc.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back