Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Kodiak - Raspberry Island - Getting to know the place

seeth07

So I'm that guy. Totally just put in for one of the AK elk hunt without having any clue for the most part what I was going to get into if successful in drawing. It was cheap to add on so why the heck not. With draw odds so terribly low, why would a guy spend a bunch of time doing so right? I chose the Raspberry Island tag simply just because of all the tags, it appeared to have the best success rates and its the most sought after I'm assuming for that same reason. Figured if I was to ever get lucky and draw it it would be the easiest of the tags to try and figure out. Well, its time to figure it out.

I'm hoping to use this thread to help gather some information with help of others. I'll be doing a bunch of leg work here over the next few weeks contacting a bunch of people but before I make any phone calls, I was hoping to gain some knowledge first so I don't sound like a total idiot on those calls.

First up, the island is owned basically by three parties - the State of Alaska, Kodiak Island Borough and Afognak Native Corporation.

1676900076711.png

State of Alaska is public land and from what I'm understanding, the Kodiak Island Borough is as well. The Native Corporation isn't public land but does allow hunting by requiring a use permit to be purchased. Based on the fee schedule, I'm for sure ruling that out as an option unless I find that all the Elk are likely to be there rather than elsewhere. It's not that I can't afford it it just seems like a lot to pay if I don't have to and detracts from the whole "public land experience".

1676900207964.png

Looking for any comments about anything I may be misunderstanding about this.

and its not like I asked "hey I don't need anyone's honey holes but tell me where to go to find an elk". Very specific question about understanding the land ownership on the relatively small island that I'm allowed to hunt.

Have you watched the meateater hunt of Afognak island? There’s also a podcast that talks about the hunt and them being attacked by a grizzly. I would think those hunts would be similar.

Have you watched the meateater hunt of Afognak island? There’s also a podcast that talks about the hunt and them being attacked by a grizzly. I would think those hunts would be similar.
Yup, I have. I'm not so much worried about the actual hunt and finding elk. Its the logistics and nailing that down that I just want to make sure I can figure out.

Talkie awards are at stake. Take this more seriously plz and thx.
I shot an elk and two pronghorn last year and didn’t tell anyone. Where’s my damn prize?

Color me shocked that the internet doesn’t flow with insight to an obscure elk hunt that almost no one has ever done.

Get on the phone ASAP with your transporter to lock in dates, as you can imagine their phones start ringing off the hook and there’s only so many good transporters available.

Also, talk to your pilot, but I think the normal plan of action is come up with 1 or 2 locations that you’re interested in. But ultimately don’t be married to a location and work with your pilot to put you in the zone, it’s in their best interest to do so.

I imagine flying in with a zodiac would be a huge advantage if the elk end up moving out of the basin you fly into. Just a thought but might want to look into a rental sooner rather than later as well.

I’d buy a deer tag for sure if I were you.

Stoked to see what you can pull off up there!

Last edited:
Hey seeth funny I just joined the forum to ask and look for some guidance on this exact same thing. My brother drew the 702 tag this year And we are currently trying to now figure it out like you said. What season did you get the 702-704 or 706? We are looking for places to rent boats things like that we're just now starting all of the logistics maybe we can all help each other out.

Hey seeth funny I just joined the forum to ask and look for some guidance on this exact same thing. My brother drew the 702 tag this year And we are currently trying to now figure it out like you said. What season did you get the 702-704 or 706? We are looking for places to rent boats things like that we're just now starting all of the logistics maybe we can all help each other out.
2nd Welcome to HT of this thread!

702, the first bull season

702, the first bull season
I'm sure we will see you on the island then. We are currently doing the same thing you are trying to figure out transportation all that fun stuff. We have checked into the raspberry remote island lodge pricing as well as vertigo transportation out of Kodiak you may have already done the same thing but if you need any info on that stuff I have some for you if you want it.

Back