Knowledge Sources for New Elk Hunters

MtnElk

Hey all, finally stepping up to hunt elk and doing everything I can to soak up as much information / knowledge. Figured this might be the place to go to and get some advice on this question: What are some of the best books / websites / courses, etc to take on elk hunting? I have read or completed the following:

Elk 101
North American Elk: Ecology and Management (2nd Edition)
CPW's Elk Hunting University
Rokslide Forum (ongoing)
Hunt Talk Forum (ongoing)
Ultimate Guide to Elk Hunting (Robb & Bethge)
Elk Hunting the West, Revisited (Eastman)

What am I missing?

Elknut's playbook maybe?
Honestly given your list I think all you are probably missing is time hunting elk, all you can learn beforehand is good, but beware of paralysis by analysis, time in the woods with the wind in your favor kills elk, time in camp overthinking your strategy doesn't...

Elknut's playbook maybe?
Honestly given your list I think all you are probably missing is time hunting elk, all you can learn beforehand is good, but beware of paralysis by analysis, time in the woods with the wind in your favor kills elk, time in camp overthinking your strategy doesn't...
oh for sure, all this reading ain't going to do shit if I don't put in miles on the boots and make good decisions in the field. Just trying to soak it all up while I devise a strategy for my first hunt this fall. I will check out the ElkNut's Playbook. Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you, looks like we took similar informational paths. Next thing for me was just time in the field, working on tracking, finding rubs, wallows and scat. Getting more used to wind thermals in the early morning, daytime, and evening. Learning and paying attention to forage. I found a lot of enjoyment in using all those skills together to find a good place for a game camera, and trying to see if I was at least in the right areas. It's really rewarding when you start getting photos. I sometimes keep a cow call in the car and play with it while I'm driving just to get better. Give a squeak at passers by just to watch the reaction.

Good luck out there

I was in the same boat as you, looks like we took similar informational paths. Next thing for me was just time in the field, working on tracking, finding rubs, wallows and scat. Getting more used to wind thermals in the early morning, daytime, and evening. Learning and paying attention to forage. I found a lot of enjoyment in using all those skills together to find a good place for a game camera, and trying to see if I was at least in the right areas. It's really rewarding when you start getting photos. I sometimes keep a cow call in the car and play with it while I'm driving just to get better. Give a squeak at passers by just to watch the reaction.

Good luck out there
Yup, spending as much time as I can right now in one of the units I plan to hunt and working hard to get into the other unit I am definitely hunting. As far as calling goes, the wife and daughter have already told me I can do it while driving alone and that's it haha

Hey all, finally stepping up to hunt elk and doing everything I can to soak up as much information / knowledge. Figured this might be the place to go to and get some advice on this question: What are some of the best books / websites / courses, etc to take on elk hunting? I have read or completed the following:

Elk 101
North American Elk: Ecology and Management (2nd Edition)
CPW's Elk Hunting University
Rokslide Forum (ongoing)
Hunt Talk Forum (ongoing)
Ultimate Guide to Elk Hunting (Robb & Bethge)
Elk Hunting the West, Revisited (Eastman)

What am I missing?
Western Hunter > Nate Simmons video

Company called Method Hunting. They offer advice, unit and draw odd evaluation. Spent a few hours on the phone with them last year talking through approaches, past experiences and my hunt plan. Nice folks out of a small outfit in Colorado.

what led you to want to do that?
Since moving to Colorado ten years ago, I've always been fascinated by elk. Seeing them often on hikes, long runs, and backcountry skiing days. Decided I'd waited long enough to start hunting; figured I couldn't be the only adult ever to start hunting without a mentor ha

Here is their link.

Since moving to Colorado ten years ago, I've always been fascinated by elk. Seeing them often on hikes, long runs, and backcountry skiing days. Decided I'd waited long enough to start hunting; figured I couldn't be the only adult ever to start hunting without a mentor ha
I was the same way except I was born in CO. Took me a few years to get a hang of it, just hiked my ass off a lot. Now its in my blood.

I was the same way except I was born in CO. Took me a few years to get a hang of it, just hiked my ass off a lot. Now its in my blood.
Nice! I just tell myself I mastered the physical nature of elk hunting for 10 years, now I just get to the do the same adventures with a rifle ha

Jealous you were born here! But glad my daughter gets to grow up in this awesome state!

Nice! I just tell myself I mastered the physical nature of elk hunting for 10 years, now I just get to the do the same adventures with a rifle ha

Jealous you were born here! But glad my daughter gets to grow up in this awesome state!
Well good luck out there. It took me 3 years before I even seen an elk with a rifle in my hand then something must have clicked because know I seem to get in them at least once a hunt. Now I'm on a repeating the process with a bow, last 4 years I have gone out and have not seen an elk with a bow in my hand haha. Keep at it, definitely the most rewarding hobby on the planet.

Sounds like you’re more prepared than most already! That’s a good bit of research you’ve done. All you need now (as mentioned before) is time in the woods. But it sounds like you have experience there too!
I bet you’ll get into elk. I’m excited to hear how your first hunts play out. Make sure to keep us updated in the whole process.
And remember not to get frustrated. Elk hunting is hard and my dad often reminds me that he spent many years hunting them before he even saw one, let alone shot an elk. He was also an adult onset hunter

Sounds like you’re more prepared than most already! That’s a good bit of research you’ve done. All you need now (as mentioned before) is time in the woods. But it sounds like you have experience there too!
I bet you’ll get into elk. I’m excited to hear how your first hunts play out. Make sure to keep us updated in the whole process.
And remember not to get frustrated. Elk hunting is hard and my dad often reminds me that he spent many years hunting them before he even saw one, let alone shot an elk. He was also an adult onset hunter
Thanks man, definitely will keep y'all posted. I get way too excited about this stuff haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back