Know Your Bears Black? Griz?

R

RavenBeauty

Know Your Bears! Thought this might help guys. I saw Moosies post in Fireside and deduced that it's very difficult to tell the difference sometimes.

Grizzly Bear

gbear.gif

Black Bear

bbear.gif

Key Features of
Grizzly Bear:

In profile, snout rises sharply into broad "dished" face. Ears rounded, noticeable but not prominent. Pronounced shoulder hump Claws of front feet are long, sometimes with white streak. In prints the claws are obvious — 2 to 3 inches ahead of toes. When standing on the level, a Grizzly's body profile slopes backward from the high point at the front shoulders. Fur is often "grizzled" in appearance (silver-tipped) — not all grizzlies, nor all times of the year.

Key Features of
Black Bear:

In profile, snout and face form straight line—no "dished" face. Ears pointed and somewhat prominent. No shoulder hump.
Claws of front feet are short and usually black. They make little or no imprint in track. When standing on the level, a black bear's body profile slopes forward from the high point at the hips.

Other Features of
Grizzly Bear:

Adults are generally larger than black bears — weighing from 100 to 500 kg (200 to 1100 lbs.).
Adult fore-foot print — about 14 cm (5.5 in.) wide;
rear-foot print — about 25 cm (9.75 in.) long.
Color varies from tawny brown to black.

Other Features of
Black Bear:

Adults are generally smaller than grizzlies —weighing 45 to 200 kg (100 to 440 lbs.).
Adult fore-foot print — about 9.5 cm (3.75 in.) wide;
rear-foot print — about 18 cm (7 in.) long.
Color varies from black to blond.

RB
There is an easyer way :eek: You sneek up behind the bear and goose it! :eek: If it starts rapping before it eats you it's a Black bear :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 13 June 2001 15:32: Message edited by: The Greek ]</font>

Thank you for the info Raven,I already knew it but it may help others.Thanx again :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 15 June 2001 13:16: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Well Kraven I tell you what.. If i run across one I am NOT going to take time to check these finer points I am just going TO RUNNNNNNNN RUNNNN RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. ok ok i know im sposed to play dead but sheesh I don't do that so good when being eaten! LOL

Raven... I know what they look lik eon paper.... I even Know what they look like on TV. But not ever having seen a Griz in real life.. And knowing that they can look like a Blackie... We were taking the Cautious side.

I have heard of People wacking a Griz and thinking it was a BLACK. It's kind of like the BOOGIE man..... You know he ain't out there ... But when you're in a dark alley... Sometimes ya second guess yourself.. :D :D :D

Thanx for the PICS... I will print them out and put them in my wallet :cool: that way next time I'm in GRIZ country I will know :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back