Kinetic Energy and expandable broadheads

The Hedgehog

I sometimes hear about how expandable broadheads cost so much in Kinetic energy. How much does a typical expandable head cause the arrow to loose? Does anybody have any real data or examples?

Compare an example of KE loss to say.. reducing the draw weight of the same bow used in the example by 2 pounds.. lowering the speed of the arrow slightly, which also lowers the KE.

The picture below is of an expandable head, 75 grain wolverine. See the arrow sticking out of the flank? I shot that bull in the opposite front shoulder, quartering toward me.. the head stopped just inside the hide and i pulled it out just to make it more visible for the photo. Did I need more penetration? Almost had a lengthwise pass-through.

With a compound shooting a hunting arrow around 300fps, I have a feeling there's more important things to worry about - like remembering to put asswipe in your backpack.

For what it's worth, I've seen fixed blade heads hit bone and basically stop.. I think that with either type of head, the KE loss due to some blades turning back isn't what matters. What matters is where the arrow hits.

Attachments

• 2000 bull.jpg
    2000 bull.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 903
Now i think i have you worried about the KE thing. Trust Me, the KE was the last thing that i disliked about that head because we both shoot high poundage anyway. Your new broadheads probably lose little because it is somewhat of a rearward opening design.
Here is a link to look at arguement on it, but keep in mind these guys have about as many facts as me and You on it
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2145356&mpage=1&key=&#2145757
Shoot them into some critters and then get back to me. I think they will do fine for you, just not my cup of tea until they make one with a little bigger cutting diameter because like i said, I have a 1.125 that shoots great without any of the mechanical stuff, and that bulky furrel that would drag in a wound channel more than a streamlined one.
If you really want, I can send you a dull Slick trick that I have killed a couple deer with last year. It wont take you but 15 seconds to spin it one and fling one out there and see how it flies. If it fly good, reconsider on your choice, and if it flies like crap, you are only out 10 minutes of your day. What do you have to lose?
PM me your address if you want one.

I was a bit surpised by the penetration tests they have on display at the local Cabela's. They shot the same arrows with the same bow using different heads into some clear rubber to show the relative penetration. For the most part the expandables did as well or better than the fixed blades. In fact the only head that outpenetrated the best expandable was the Mangus 2 blade. Just some FYI...

Trust me smalts, I'm not worried about kinetic energy because lowering the poundage of my bow 1 pound will have way more of an impact. Totally retarded. Also the bulky ferrule is no bigger than my arrow shaft, a Gold Tip 3555. Your are high, hold your comments until you shoot one. Send me one of your broadheads and I'll buy you a beer if I think they work as well.

Trust me smalts, I'm not worried about kinetic energy because lowering the poundage of my bow 1 pound will have way more of an impact. Totally retarded. Also the bulky ferrule is no bigger than my arrow shaft, a Gold Tip 3555. Your are high, hold your comments until you shoot one. Send me one of your broadheads and I'll buy you a beer if I think they work as well.

PM me your addy

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back