Kimber montana

Muleyfanatic

About 10 years ago I was bite by the long range bug. I have put a lot of time and funds into this. I have had 4 custom rifles built they are sub 1/2 MOA and have been shot on steel out to 1000 plus yards. I have taken game game with them out to 900 yards.
240 weatherby built on stiller action, broughton barrel, jewel trigger, McMillan stock finished topped with Leupold weight of gun is around 11 lbs.

HS precision rifle 6.5/284 topped with Nightforce finished weight around 10lb

HS precision rifle 7mm rem topped with Nightforce finished weight around 10lb

7mm rem mag built on stiller action, broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, Mcmillan stock topped with Nightforce finished weight of around 9 1/2lb

While I am still very much into the longrange shooting. I decided I wanted a light rifle for snap shooting, carrying around for coyote hunting, and just because one can not have too many rifles. I started researching them and came to the conclusion that I could buy a Montana and rework stock and barrel if need be and still end up lighter and cheaper than if I went full custom. I was not expecting a whole lot from the reviews that I have read on line about them but was pleasantly surprised with my results. I free floated the barrel and lightened the trigger to about 2 1/2lbs whole thing including mounting a Boone and Crockett scope 4.5-14 on it in talley rings took about 1 1/2 hours. I worked a load up using 70 grain nosler ballistic tips. I liked this light weight setup so much so that I ordered one 280ackley.
Group is one of the 3 shot groups (3 shots 100 yards) I did after barrel break in. All 3 groups were about the same. While I still prefer the custom rigs on anything over 300 yards I don't think it is too shabby on a finished rifle weight loaded with sling on of 6 3/4lb. Rifle is in 243 pushing the 70 grain bullet about 3415fps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Nice group...the 243 is just plain fun to operate...even more with that kinda result.

Took mine to the range yesterday, hard to believe I'm actually getting ready for hunting season this early for once. :D

100m group with a random recipe, haven't tuned this one much. First shot was on a clean barrel as well. I managed to pull a 2" group at 300m. Good enough for me.

Attachments

• 100yd 308.jpg
    100yd 308.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 325
Great shooting and season's are creeping up on us. Never to early to get ready. Can't wait!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back