Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

kids first gun

Robertsj22

looking at getting my son a .22 to start learning how to shoot. ive been looking and wanted to maybe get a bolt action so in the next few years we can chase squirrels. But i see most youth guns are single shots. Any advice would be appreciated. Also my son will be 6 at christmas.

I like single shots for new shooters. Keeps things simple. I have a TC Hotshot that I used to start my kids out when they were little. It's a fantastic rifle and I don't know why it's not made any longer. However, it's small and doesn't really grow with them.
If you want a bolt with a magazine, look at Ruger, CZ, Tikka, Zastava, Marlin, Savage...

For son
4 yrs old - cricket .22
5 - New England .223 single shot
6 - killed two deer with .223
7 - Ruger Compact .308, killed 9 deer
8 - Ruger Compact 10/22
8 - Remington 1170 20 gauge

My dad bought my now 6 yo a Savage Rascal when he turned 5. It's a great little gun built for the frame of a kid. I made him get proficient with open sights before I put a scope on it. He's a dead shot at 20 yards with it and can hit a walnut at that distance every time. The squirrel are in danger when they come around.

I have a CZ 457 .22 LR and I really love that thing. It shoots like crazy. You Would Not be wrong in selecting one of these. I'd also mount a scope on it like a Leupold 2x7 rimfire scope or something along those lines. It's a bolt action with a removable magazine, 5 round I believe. Extremely accurate.

A Ruger .22 bolt action such as this would also be excellent.

Tikka T1X in .22lr, and then start him on big game with a T3X in .243, 6.5 CM, 7-08, etc when he’s ready. Same controls, same handling, same trigger.

I have a weird addiction to the old Glenfield 25’s. I pick them up whenever I can find them cheap, clean them up and then put them into rotation or help out a friend in need of a good bolt action .22. I have no qualms about cutting one down when I have a youngster to outfit. My wife and I haven’t started having kids yet, but when the time comes for all that, I’ll probably find a few used stocks and have a few different sizes so the rifle can grow with them. That way they can always have the same rifle and can keep it forever.

The Savage Rascal is a far better option over the Keystone Cricket for just a few extra bucks. We’ve had both and I got rid of the cricket.

From there my kids have graduated to a 10/22, and then to ARs (m4 configuration with collapsible buttstock), and then to youth length bolt actions. For those who don’t like kids shooting semi autos, remember that they can be loaded one at a time.

Ditto on the Savage Rascal 22LR. No better rifle than a single shot for children learning to shoot. Once proficient with open sights you can add a scope to their rifle if you like.

Another vote for the Rascal. I've had a number of younger 4H kids using crickets have difficulty with the cocking piece. Smaller kids just don't have the grip strength to @#)(# it. Often results muzzles moving all over the place, as they try to contort themselves to find a way to get the rifle cocked. It's a great rifle, just needs a larger stature than the average 6 year old.

CZ is a great option, but will be a tad heavier than the Rascal. My daughter moved from a Rascal to a 455 scout when she outgrew the Rascal.

CZ or a henry. I belive you can still order a henry with custom serial numbers so you can get your son's birthday if you'd like.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back