Kids first bow

Delw

Ok debbie , and or anyone.. I need some help..
I went to the archery shop today(first time in about 8 years will get into that in a while)..looking for a bow for my daughter. they had a martin there that was 20 lbs to 40 lbs(min for hunting here is 40lbs). she pulled it back with no problem it was set at 28lbs but there was only 1" left of max draw length. they will have a 30-50lb one in on friday and it has more draw length. If she cant pull the 30 lb one should i still get it and let her just practise pulling it back, or shoudl i get the one she pulls back now and get rid of it next year because she is growing..obviously i will wait to see if she can pull the bigger one back at the lowest setting and go from there.....

Delw

Del,I think I would get one that has more adjustment. Kids grow so fast ,and if she can pull 28 lb right now ,I would see how the other one fits.
Also was that the only bow they had that would fit? Do you have other pro shops you can look at?
Thats so cool.
I hope DKO and some of the others see this because they know way more about this .
I do know we waited to get Sidney a bow that would grow with her,and a good friend bought both his kids bows that he could up grade as they grew.He has already had to do that.His kids are 8 & 10.
Let us know how it goes.
:D :D :D

debbie..
If you dont mind post what brands and model numbers your friens and sidney has...
we have a few proshops but they are 40 miles away . and only 1 has an indoor shooting range.. the one I went to last night the people were real nice and they had an indoor range also...I kinda felt comfortable with these guys,rather than a big dept store....

Delw

Del,
thats a tough one because kids grow so quickly but heres a thouhgt!!! if she pulled back 28 with no problem and without being an avid shooter that has developed shooting muscles, so to speak, then i would opt for the heavier bow with a max range of 50 pounds, chances are she may never need or be able to pull more than 50lbs! if the 28lbs was no problem than 30lbs shouldnt be that much more!!

draw length: i would measure her right now and have that be the minumum length and make sure the new bow has alot of room for adjustment!! the thing that stinks is that most manufacturers build the bow to be most efficient at the lowest draw length setting, therefore changing it to increase draw length makes the bow less efficient ,but not noticeably if changes arent to dramatic!

for a first bow dont go to hog wild its not neccesary , let her interest develope with the sport first, then as she progresses then update her equipment!!! the single most important thing is gettin something that fits her and is comfortable for her to shoot or else it isnt any fun and you know what happens next!!! dust collection:D anyway, there alot of good bows out there and the differences are minimal anymore in a beginners bow!! i would stay with something that has a longer brace height and wheels vs. cams or even a solo cam! shes needs to develope a solid shooting style and form before entering the real high tech world of newer bows!!! just my .02

i will talk with a buddy who has an archery shop to get some brands and model #'s for ya!!

whats her current draw length ?????? this will help me!!

good call on the smaller shop, usually much better service and more knowledgable folks!!

Dko
thanks for the info... her draw length was 1 inch less than max for the martin 25-40lb bow.. this is what had me concerned cause she grows fast.. how ever that bow had cams for it that go be good for my other 2 kids when they grow up and want to get started...
I didnt go with her when she got her drawn length because i was drooling over another bow that i liked.
I am going back friday and they are going to let her try one thats the next step higher.
I dont have a problem with a price but i do think 219 for a bare bones bow is alot for a kid, the other one was 50 bucks higher. Then you have to get arrows and everything else to go with it....problem with me is when i get into something i go a little over board, well ok alot. I try to buy the best of everything even when its not neccesary...
She always wanted to go archery hunting, she goes all the time with me now. she shot them at girlscout church camp and a few things at her school. I dobnt think she would not want to do it anymore.. she loves the outdoor stuff and hunting and fishing is her #1 thing to do....
ask your friend for some thoughts. I will find out friday what her draw length is and let you know...
btw 40lbs is min bow weight here to hunt big game.

Delw

Look for a used Darton Silverhawk. I picked up one for my wife for under $100. Put an overdraw on it and it shoots faster than mine!!! It adjust from 30-55lbs. If you can't find I one, I may be able to get my hands on one CHEAP. I'll check. Ever look at ebay auctions for bow?? Beginners bows go cheap there. Also, don't forget Bear whitetail hunters, very reasonable. There is a company in Evansville, IN who make Xi bows (Myles Keller used to shoot 'em). They only sell through the internet and are reasonable. Just some thoughts to save some dough, that way you can get the new one too!!!

Thanks one pointer

Over draws are scarey for a kid, I saw a guy put and arrow thru his forarm while bringing the bow back to a undrawn position, I met hime out while i was deer hunting in the kaibab. he was looking for a doc and bleeding pretty bad. but thats when the overdraws first came out.....

I am going to look around and check out that other bow they get in friday.then i will know what we need to look for...

Delw

Del the bow we got sidney is a Browning Micro Midis. The one our friend got his kids is called a tom thumb or Stacey Bow but Im sure if they will be able to hunt with it or if its just a 3-D bow.
There seemed to be alot of the Browning bows that the kids were shooting.
Go look at some web sites.
The guy that has his store here on moosies
Idaho Outdoor outfitters his daughter (I think age 12) got a bear this year with a browning bow. Thats where we got Sidneys .

Never had that problem, thank God!!! She was complaining about how slow her arrows were so I speeded them up. Cost about 15 bucks. That little thing will zzziiippp 'em!! She's never shot anything with it, I wonder if those light arrows will penetrate? Doesn't matter though, she doesn't shoot but a coulple of times a year. She's gets intimidated if anyone but me is at the range.

Delw, the greatest help I have found with my two daughters is the J.O.A.D program,the instructors know how to teach kids, which is different than adults, plus they shoot indoors during the winter.their are about 30 kids in our local chapter and they have a blast...and they are taught correct fundamentals to boot, enroll your daughter if possible and she can try out lots of different bows before you buy.
h2m

Thanks for all the info...

Hunt2much: we got my daughter involved in that last night... there was just one problem I forgot to go!!! she is kinda mad at me... we are going next friday and I might take her there sunday just to look around.And hopefully get some shooting in.
most of the ranges are indoors here.

Wow i think i should look at the sight more didnt even see it..

thanks again to everyone I will keep ya posted

Delw

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back