MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Kenetrek

skeeterforme

If I want to buy one pair of Kenetreks that will get me through 90% of hunting situations what should they be? I've been eyeing the Mountain Extreme 400s.

Also, being from MN how do I size/try these things on?

Thanks
Paul

The Terrane is on sale at camofire right now for $239 with a pair of gaiters thrown in. http://www.camofire.com/

I bought a pair of Mountain Extremes NI for less than $100 off ebay from them. Seems like they sell their returns on ebay every few months or so. Have to be lucky to find your size, but it was a great deal for me. The ones I got were barely used and they threw in some boot wax too.

Non Insulated mountain extremes. I would really try to try some on before you buy. I bought mine before they had narrows. The ones I originally got felt good but after trying on narrows that would of been the best fit for me. So that's my advice. I would go mountain extremes NI and wouldn't buy until I tried a pair on to know size and width.

I tried on a pair of Mountain Extreme NI and the seem to fit perfectly length wise but for me they were narrow for my big feet even with a thin pair of Hanes socks. There were several places on the top of my foot that I could feel potential hotspots. Maybe I had them cinched too tight but I couldn't risk it on my feet.

According to Kenetrek's website, there are 7 dealers in Minnesota. I definitely recommend stopping by and trying on a pair as I've never had luck ordering boots without at least testing trying them on.

All good advice. I bought a pair of NI mountain Extremes last fall,by far the most comfortable boots i have owned ,and i have tried them all. Now i'm wearing them every day. I own a construction company and i'm hard on boots . I have never had any boot last more then 9 months, my Kenetreks are holding up well. Never would have dreamed i would spend 375+ on a pair of "work" boots ,but i have decided life is to short to hurt all the time. Just bought a second pair, hope to save this pair for hunting.

I'm planning to buy a pair of the mountain extremes this spring, but there are no dealers near where I live in NY. I see that endless.com has free shipping and free return shipping. This is probably the route I will go and is a good option for those that can't find a dealer near-by to try them on.

Can I ask the advantage of the non insualted boots? I'm also looking at getting a pair for a CO 2nd season rifle hunt. At this point all of my "big game" experience is hunting whitetails in WI. So of course we would never consider NI for that.

Can I ask the advantage of the non insualted boots?

A big part of blisters is heat buildup. Kenetrek use some pretty thick leather along with having a cambrel lining which is almost like a blanket anyway. I always can add a warmer sock for colder conditions. For my feet the Ni was the way to go. I haven't felt like I am sacrificing anything even in the cold. I also remember them telling me that there was really only a 10 degree difference between insulated and non. Maybe Cabinfever can get on and answer some more quesitons.

That is good information. I was still debating between the NI and the 400s. Seeing as all my other boots are insulated I think the NI are the way to go. I'm sure they are better for early archery season in CO anyway.

Of course if you get cold feet they now have the 1000's. Not sure I'd recommend these, but my feet occassionally get cold in the 400's. That's after sitting for a bit though. The Ebay deal is really good, I'd keep an eye out on that one.

I also remember them telling me that there was really only a 10 degree difference between insulated and non. Maybe Cabinfever can get on and answer some more quesitons.

I've always wondered about the "actual" temp difference between insulated/Ni. Does anyone have any further info/comments on temp difference of 400 gr versus Ni??

I always have trouble finding hunting boots do to the fact that I'm size 13 and even narrow after awhile seem too wide. I have finally found a standard manufactured boot that works for me but they only make it in Ni. Was thinking about taking a ride to Bozeman to try Kennetrek's recently new "narrow" models in 400 gr., but if there is only 10 degrees difference I'll just wear a thicker sock and cut down my glassing time and move on until the feet warm up.

I've been going with Danner Pronghorns but they don't hold water out well after a years use so I figure why keep spending 200 bucks every 2 years and go spend a bit more for something that will hopefully hold out a bit better. I do like how my Danners fit and feel though.

I looked at the dealers in MN and most only carry like the Hardscrabble or a single boot. Scheels might have the Mountain Extremes, waiting to hear on them. Otherwise I'll have to the purchase and return deal over the mail.

Does anyone know how the run in size compared to the Pronghorns to at least get me on the ball park?

Last edited:
I have tried Danner Pronghorns also and to me the Danners and Kenetreks fit the same...having big feet is a curse. Realizing that the Kenetreks have a harder outsole than Danners

Last edited:
I have a pair of both 400 and ni. I wear the NI 90 % of the time hunting and hiking. They are a great boot but you must try them on sizing was different for me. Wear a 13 in most and a 12 in kenetreks.

I've been going with Danner Pronghorns but they don't hold water out well after a years use so I figure why keep spending 200 bucks every 2 years and go spend a bit more for something that will hopefully hold out a bit better. I do like how my Danners fit and feel though.

I looked at the dealers in MN and most only carry like the Hardscrabble or a single boot. Scheels might have the Mountain Extremes, waiting to hear on them. Otherwise I'll have to the purchase and return deal over the mail.

Does anyone know how the run in size compared to the Pronghorns to at least get me on the ball park?

Gortex doesn't last for ever. Maybe two seasons Max for me.

That's the frustrating part with all boots. I've heard people say that Kenetreks and Lowas are 10-15 year boots. They go on about how you can re sole them and all. Well that's great but when the waterproof membrane fails in 2 years the boots are worthless in my opinion. I have no doubt the two boots I mentioned could hold up structurally for a long time but without being water proof they are as useless as............

So with that logic is it better to go with a $200 pair of Danners vs. a $400 pair of Kenetreks if they both fit well, work well, but your almost gonna have to buy a new pair after 2-3 years anyway?

I have a pair of Kenetrek Terranes new in box, 400 grams thinsulate I'd lsell for $230 + shipping, includes Kenetrek wax, size 11.5, PM me if interested

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back