Kenetrek Mountain Extremes

TommyCorrgs

After spending a year in Wyoming I know I'll need some better boots. Today I tried on the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, they felt very good on my feet and of high quality. I just am wondering whether I should get insulated or uninsulated. With winter here and no winter boots it's tempting to get the insulated pair, however I'd like to be able to use them throughout the year. Im not sure what to do.

I have the insulated and love them. In fact, just shipped them off today to get resoled.

I use them for everything from antelope hunting in September to Spring bear hunting and everything in between. For Summer hiking/camping I just use a lighter weight non-insulated boot.

I have the insulated and love them. In fact, just shipped them off today to get resoled.

I use them for everything from antelope hunting in September to Spring bear hunting and everything in between. For Summer hiking/camping I just use a lighter weight non-insulated boot.
The 400 gram?

I’ve had mine for 4 seasons now and love them. Mine are not insulated. I’ve used them anywhere from 85+ down to -20 with no real issues. Get good socks and understand moisture management and I think the non insulated will work for 95% of your hunts. If you tree stand hunt then maybe insulated would be better but for hiking and spot and stalk, my vote is non insulated. Good luck!

I have the 400g insulated. They are great for the late season hunts in the mountains of MT with snow on the ground, but not so much for the other 90% of the year when I’m out hiking and scouting. I tend to run hot and sweat a lot though, so YMMV. The moisture from sweating contributed to lots of heal blister issues. I just bought a pair of non-insulated ones that I’ll use when the temp are above single digits.

After spending a year in Wyoming I know I'll need some better boots. Today I tried on the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, they felt very good on my feet and of high quality. I just am wondering whether I should get insulated or uninsulated. With winter here and no winter boots it's tempting to get the insulated pair, however I'd like to be able to use them throughout the year. Im not sure what to do.
I definitely like having uninsulated leather boots. Great all around boot for most terrain. Unfortunately, like all things, specialized equipment can get your head spinning. You'll probably want an insulated boot for the sub zero temps though or risk cold injuries. With a leather uninsulated boot, get a nice wide toe box to wiggle the toes and space for a heat pack is not a bad idea as long as it doesn't compromise your fit.

I’m on my forth pair. Love them. One pair non insulated for early season, 400 for snow. The older ones are for every day dog training that kind of thing.

I’ve had mine for 4 seasons now and love them. Mine are not insulated. I’ve used them anywhere from 85+ down to -20 with no real issues. Get good socks and understand moisture management and I think the non insulated will work for 95% of your hunts. If you tree stand hunt then maybe insulated would be better but for hiking and spot and stalk, my vote is non insulated. Good luck!
I've never had an issue with uninsulated I need better boots regardless my danners didn't stand up very well to serious use.

I do lots of hiking hiking and Im in Wyoming so I'm not doing tree stand hunting

I’ve run 400 gr mountain guides for the last 4 years and love them. A little warm for sep but with good socks I have spent entire days in at or below zero temps comfortably.

Just switched to the noninsulated. Love them so far. There was some good sales on kenetreks, not sure if they are still running.

I'm gonna try the darn tough socks, Hunting midwwight, with them.

I think insulated vs non is unique to you. When I was younger, I always got insulated because that is what my dad had. I always had sweaty feet and thus....cold feet. Switched to non insulated years ago and haven't looked back. My feet are never cold. Everyone is different. To be fair, -10 is about the coldest I have been out in and I wasn't exactly sitting at that temp...

Thanks for all the feedback I'm gonna pick up a pair of Kenetrek grizzlies for the winter season and before next season I'll get a pair of the uninsulated mountain extremes for my birthday in the spring haha. I was ice fishing today in 5 degrees and my feet would thank me if I got some proper winter boots.

I am custom ordering a pare of NI after talking with so many people about them I decided the 400 was a tree stand or a really cold temps. There windtex and leather do a good job of holding heat in and breathing when they need to.

I bought a pair of non-insulated last fall and love them. I’ve broken both ankles in the past and the older I get the more messed up they get. The price to me initially seemed outrageous but with about 60 miles in them I think they’re worth every penny. Wore them ice fishing (cold temps and not a lot of physical activity) a couple weeks ago and feet didn’t get cold, just wore some nice wool socks.

I’d go uninsulated and get some merrino wool sock liners and Darn Tough wool socks. My 400 Mountain Extremes get warm

Started with a pair of insulated and never had any issues. Picked up a pair of non insulated and believe I like them better. I can run a heavier sock if I need to.

I have non insulated because my feet run warm. I have hands and ear problems getting cold instead. I also have a pair of other insulated boots to wear if it gets too cold. But to be fair i run a pair of polypro sock liners and them smart wool socks even in the summer.

I went with non insulated to be a better all year boot. I also never sit for long periods of time when hunting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back