Keeping A Secret....

What a great story, great hunt and great ram. Congrats!
This should be the top thread of many years. Well done all the way around!

Reactions: Hem
You can interpret as you choose.
The regs state this is a difficult backcountry hunt. The Bio warned me from the beginning it was a difficult hunt and am I" prepared to invest significant time" to be successful. I assured her I was. Consequently I scouted and hunted my ass off, bumping in to one other hunter in the entire process. This was in July that we met. We traded information on numerous occasions and agreed to help the other should one harvest early.
My generosity to share information had limitations for sure, say what you will. I wasn't about to walk another hunter in to a zone in which two rams had already been killed.
My comment about the Bio was unfounded and for that I apologize. I knew not her motives.

the hardest hunts are the longest lasting memories

Glad I didn't notice this thread until today... was able to binge-read the whole thing! Congrats Hem, thanks for sharing!

This entire thread getting green with envy rn
I hope a Hunttalker has my good fortune next year..I REALLY hope there is a Hunttalker that draws this unit.
Contrary to what the one rogue post suggests, I would be thrilled to help a member in their quest for a ram in 302.
So good luck to all next year. If you are lucky to draw, and are willing to put in the time, you will be rewarded with an experience unparalleled.

This was a great read. Congratulations on the successful harvest, but most of all for making the most out of the opportunity. Sounds like you really took the time to appreciate what you had, which is what it's all about.

One of the first things I did was visit the Biologist in Bozeman. Good conversation about the unit, sheep population, % of rams, ....the basics. The Bio will provide extensive data dating back. Interesting to some, I personally don't find reading graphs etc that stimulating.
Talking to a few hard-core hunters that were successful in the past few years was really where I found the most direct information about what sort of expectations to have, and , of course, where to concentrate my efforts.
In a nutshell, it was the opinion of a handful of knowledgeable people that there "could"be a ram or two in the 180 class in 302. But mostly the big rams are in the 170 class. I was advised to not pass up any opportunity on a ram of this size. I also talked to quite a few hunters whose adamant opinion was due to the challenges presented in this unit a 155 + ram is a great barometer .
So I have looked at a handful of Hunttalk threads on sheep hunts. Amazing to me is the quantity of rams some hunters have seen in their units. To be clear, I did not see ALOT of rams...maybe total of 30 of which 10 were 155+. It is not a pick and choose unit. Small pockets of rams in a big area.
Typically the biggest rams are killed at the end of the season, if weather prompts them to winter grounds...which is not entirely an easy place to hunt but at least more confined.
Last I heard the four remaining hunters( total 6) had unfilled tags this year.
Glad I focused on the backcountry.
I don't really know a better way to answer your question . Certainly I didn't see all the rams in 302.

Masterfully told. I enjoyed the anticipation as much as the harvest photos. Congrats!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back