Caribou Gear Tarp

Keeping A Secret....

I heard from a tagholders son today that there’s now rams visible from roads in southern part of unit. I suspect there will be some very end rams killed. I believe that’s not uncommon there?

I heard from a tagholders son today that there’s now rams visible from roads in southern part of unit. I suspect there will be some very end rams killed. I believe that’s not uncommon there?
Isn't this the last weekend to hunt that unit?

Amazing to me is the quantity of rams some hunters have seen in their units. To be clear, I did not see ALOT of rams...maybe total of 30 of which 10 were 155+. It is not a pick and choose unit. Small pockets of rams in a big area.
I'm always amazed at how many mature rams people see in MT vs the amount of tags they give out. That's a lot of rams!

We're lucky to see 2-3 legal rams in 10-12 days. Granted, once they're "legal" they're usually the type of ram you want to shoot. Even in the limited entry units here, you're not passing up rams. I couldn't imagine going on a sheep hunt and picking and choosing the one you want. haha I'm super jealous.

I'm always amazed at how many mature rams people see in MT vs the amount of tags they give out. That's a lot of rams!

We're lucky to see 2-3 legal rams in 10-12 days. Granted, once they're "legal" they're usually the type of ram you want to shoot. Even in the limited entry units here, you're not passing up rams. I couldn't imagine going on a sheep hunt and picking and choosing the one you want. haha I'm super jealous.
I guess my reference was the Breaks. Friend of mine saw a GROUP of 30 mature rams when his wife had a tag.
I'm sure it isn't THAT common. Haha

However the ten mature rams is a tally from a period of 3 months. Greenhorn can attest to "now you see them,now you dont". Same for me.
The other successful hunter, who hit the scouting hard saw his first rams while sitting with me one afternoon early on. We bumped into each other back in July.
He didn't see another mature ram until the one he shot, a week before I harvested.
So tough to say.
I really had a tough time spotting the same rams over and over. Couldn't figure out how they were cycling, or if they were cycling.

Indeed a great ram for that tag holder from yesterday, and sounds like a well deserved ram at that. My (now retired) coworker still has his tag in 302. He's spent dozens of days scouting before the season, talked extensively with the biologist and former tag holders, and has since spent nearly every day this season down there. He looks like he has cancer with how his body has changed during the summer and season. He missed earlier this season, and his tag will likely come down to the final day. I was hoping to see him take that bruiser yesterday, but he was already up the mountain when it was spotted by a former tag holder and the other hunter has a great ram to show for it. Such is the way these hunts go. I think 302 is a very unique unit in that it does get a lot of information sharing, which creates a tight knit group of hunters year after year. Although the comment about you @Hem may have been presumptuous, I also know that particular individual making the comment is as passionate about this unit as anyone, hunting every day of the season when he had the tag and allowing another hunter with less time to kill the ram he had been watching. Karma paid him back and he took a great ram not too long after. Last year, he again spent the majority of his hunting season in 302 to help a tag holder who was ultimately successful as well. Now that tagholder is paying it back with the ram yesterday and perhaps a ram this evening yet or this weekend for my coworker. I hope next year you or this thread are able to help a tag holder. Well done on your accomplishment- it was hard earned from every appearance. It will be equally hard earned by any of the other tag holders filling this year and in the years to come.

Indeed a great ram for that tag holder from yesterday, and sounds like a well deserved ram at that. My (now retired) coworker still has his tag in 302. He's spent dozens of days scouting before the season, talked extensively with the biologist and former tag holders, and has since spent nearly every day this season down there. He looks like he has cancer with how his body has changed during the summer and season. He missed earlier this season, and his tag will likely come down to the final day. I was hoping to see him take that bruiser yesterday, but he was already up the mountain when it was spotted by a former tag holder and the other hunter has a great ram to show for it. Such is the way these hunts go. I think 302 is a very unique unit in that it does get a lot of information sharing, which creates a tight knit group of hunters year after year. Although the comment about you @Hem may have been presumptuous, I also know that particular individual making the comment is as passionate about this unit as anyone, hunting every day of the season when he had the tag and allowing another hunter with less time to kill the ram he had been watching. Karma paid him back and he took a great ram not too long after. Last year, he again spent the majority of his hunting season in 302 to help a tag holder who was ultimately successful as well. Now that tagholder is paying it back with the ram yesterday and perhaps a ram this evening yet or this weekend for my coworker. I hope next year you or this thread are able to help a tag holder. Well done on your accomplishment- it was hard earned from every appearance. It will be equally hard earned by any of the other tag holders filling this year and in the years to come.
Good commentary.
Very psyched for all tag holders.
Its great that guys have ample spare time to scout and spot for hunters. Unfortunately, I don't have that means. The unit has a history of producing rams late in the season, down to the wire, I hope your friend/coworker has success.
Its not over until its over.

Man that's sick. Congrats on everything. How's he eating? Have heard everything from "best game meat I've ever had" to "do it all as burger"
As you can see Hem knows how to cook wild game!
I've eaten all four NA wild sheep and in my opinion all were excellent eating. I would prefer eating wild sheep over most any other game I've eaten.

Incredible adventure Hem. Well done, and I very much appreciated the HT opportunity to tag along!

Reactions: Hem
I've never hunted sheep of any kind and really never had the desire to do so. I do like a good story and this sir, was a great read. I enjoyed every word of it.

Thank you!

Reactions: Hem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back