Keeping A Secret....

Hem

Its been five months, a period in which my world was turned upside down.
Its time to give back to Hunttalk. I have enjoyed all the contributions over many years and though I consider myself a private person I want to share this experience with more detail and reflection. This could take awhile. It won't just be about this past weekend, but about a journey.
Will you be patient hearing my quest for the ultimate game animal? It is a story of good fortune, making friends, hunters sharing their passion, non hunters excited and supportive. Chit , its a collective.
It will also reveal alot about myself, but probably many of you.
I want to keep this rolling, this story , as best I can. Bear with me.
I drew a ram tag.

Its time to give back to Hunttalk. I have enjoyed all the contributions over many years and though I consider myself a private person I want to share this experience with more detail and reflection. This could take awhile. It won't just be about this past weekend, but about a journey.
Will you be patient hearing my quest for the ultimate game animal? It is a story of good fortune, making friends, hunters sharing their passion, non hunters excited and supportive. Chit , its a collective.
I drew a ram tag.
This is how I would do it. Really looking forward to this. mtmuley

I’m amazed you drew a ram tag and kept it a secret on here. Doubt I would have. Looking forward to the story, and hopefully lots of pics—even if they’re missing some of those greenhorn elements. 😉

I drew a ram tag.
MrW5mUX.gif

Alright Faithful, let's get the ball rolling.

Picture late May, I take my annual turkey trip to Eastern Montana. Recent years I combine this with fishing the big lake.
I love ALL things Montana, except some of the recent transplants that are clueless and don't belong here. Circling the state at least once a year is mandatory. By winters end in SouthWest Montana I crave a change of scenery. Its a time to wander the ponderosa, visit ranching families , breath deep the beauty of the other end of the state. I like hunting turkeys, simple fact I've killed close to 60. Passion.
I taught myself to flyfish at 12...46 years ago. First confession (age). So,yeah, I live in trout country SW Montana but I'm bored with trout a tiny bit. Chasing pike with a fly is the new game. So now turkey hunting and pike fishing( Nemont country) is the getaway.
I warned you, I'm taking the long way.

So there i am driving down that shitty road on the East side of Dry Arm heading home when I get..the text.
" Any luck in the draw"
WTF? What an idiot, ..too busy high speeding around potholes to remember to check. But then the signal is lost.
You know the routine, find the highest butte/ bench and cross your fingers.
Side roads were dry(imagine that) and off I peel.
Whats my friggin F & G password?
Got it, scroll, scroll.
Pause.
Time stopped.
It was Cushman moment.(thanks for your service by the way).
Frantic texting to friends.
So back on the oil and heading for home..6 hours.
But wait, its a lie, I wasn't using my stupid readers, somehow I "IMAGINED" the whole damn thing. Jeezus, find another butte.
It was no lie.

pics before life changing moment. I haven't fished since.
20210417_081804.jpg

Attachments

• 20210417_081749.jpg
    20210417_081749.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210502_093957.jpg
    20210502_093957.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members