Kansas Muzzleloader Doe

FreezerHunter

Hunting public land in Kansas, I was able to fill my doe tag a few weeks ago during muzzle loader season. The deer wasn't anything particularly special, but the hunt was some of the most fun I've had lately, so I'll share it for what it is worth.

I mostly hunt public land near Kanopolis Lake in central Kansas and I have taken deer in this particular area every year for the last 4 years. I parked in the designated parking area, put on my orange, loaded my rifle, and started walking to where I was going to sit. I probably didn't get six steps away from the car and three does jumped up about 200 yards away at the bottom of the little brushy draw in front of me. I thought for sure my hunt was over before it started. The wind was blowing fairly strong in my face, but there I was standing in the open with nothing but 200 yards of mowed pasture between me and the deer. To my amazement, they went back to feeding, eventually bedding down, and seemed to forget I even existed.

SO, fast forward 2 hours and I've belly crawled within 40 yards of where they bedded down. I'm sure if anyone had driven by, they would have wondered what that idiot was doing crawling across an open field (within 150 yards of his car)! I'm sure it would have been quite the sight! As the sun went down, the does finally got back up and presented me with an 80 yard shot and I was home just after dark. Now, every time I have sausage for breakfast, I'll get to remember this hunt!

Nice story. Sounds like some advanced road hunting techniques when you are stalking within sight of your vehicle and a highway. Nice job closing the deal at close range instead shooting across thie field at 200 yards with your muzzy.

Might want to think about leaving the name of the lake out of your post unless you want company in the parking area next year. Most guys won't name a unit let alone a specific lake.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back