Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kansas Deer

Recieved a successful draw email this evening. Not to big of a suprise since it was like 90% draw success I think.

Reactions: LCH
Am I the first unsuccessful one in the thread?
I struck out as well. Also, struck out in the Elk outfitter pool in NM. But did draw a Mule D tag in Utah w 1% draw odds??

Just wish I knew the Kansas draw process. Do they look at all choices on the application first or do the look at the first choice of all apps before going to the 2nd choice. This would determine how I select my choices.

I struck out as well. Also, struck out in the Elk outfitter pool in NM. But did draw a Mule D tag in Utah w 1% draw odds??

Just wish I knew the Kansas draw process. Do they look at all choices on the application first or do the look at the first choice of all apps before going to the 2nd choice. This would determine how I select my choices.
I *think* they look at all the choices on the app first. There was a thread on here awhile back about it.

Reviving this thread to see if any nonresidents who are familiar with Kansas can tell me if I'm reading this right since the application deadline is coming up. My goal is to hunt Kansas archery November '23 and it looks like I have the option of buying a preference point for next year, as long as I buy the non-refundable hunting license. Will I also have to front the money for the deer permit if I just want to buy a preference point? Also wondering about the mix of mule deer/whitetail in different parts of the state as that might help me pick my first choice unit. I would assume generally there are more mule deer the farther west you go. PM works if you can give advice on the mule/whitetail mix in certain areas/units.

You will have to draw the whitetail tag first in the unit that you want to Mule deer hunt. The Mule deer is an add on, randomly drawn for Muzzleloader or Archery only for NR.
The Western side of the state is where the MD are.
Either way your stuck with a whitetail tag if you don't draw the MD.
A preference point would guarantee you a tag next year. Odds are pretty good at 0 in most units.

Reviving this thread to see if any nonresidents who are familiar with Kansas can tell me if I'm reading this right since the application deadline is coming up. My goal is to hunt Kansas archery November '23 and it looks like I have the option of buying a preference point for next year, as long as I buy the non-refundable hunting license. Will I also have to front the money for the deer permit if I just want to buy a preference point? Also wondering about the mix of mule deer/whitetail in different parts of the state as that might help me pick my first choice unit. I would assume generally there are more mule deer the farther west you go. PM works if you can give advice on the mule/whitetail mix in certain areas/units.
You can just buy a point. No money fronted.

Back