Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kalispell family ponds

Clawsar

Evening guys,
I’m hoping some of you may be able to pm me or point me in the right direction. My 3 year old has a little fishing pole and is getting pretty good at casting. I think it’s time to catch a fish. However, I’m still a horrible angler. We’ve tried Dry Bridge Pond as it’s in the neighborhood, but with his attention span of just casting and reeling I’ve only had a single shot at a time. Once I tried a spoon, the other time a blob of power bait. Does anyone have any recommendations for the next few days where to take him that I’d have a decent chance of getting him a bite?
- needs to be within about 30 min of downtown Kalispell
- “fishing hours” are around 9-11am and 2-5 pm To avoid naps, dinner, etc.
- ANY fish would be awesome

Thanks for any tips. I’ll also be calling Snappys and True Water tomorrow to see if they have any recommendations then buy whatever they recommend (always seemed like that was a good balance for the tips).

Thanks!

Mtnhunter1 shared two nice, fun locations.
You're on the right track regarding Snappy's especially when detailing a little one into the fishing world.
I know whitefish has a few nice spots though a bit out of your reach.

Also give Region One FWP a call. They'd be happy to help! 406-752-5501

Mosquitos are popping this time of year (least up here) so might be a bit more challenging. Be sure to douse w/ repellent.

Also a purposely designed kid friendly pond is Pine Grove Pond. Just outside Evergreen. I've not been there so unable to share personal experience though good ratings on Google.

Screenshot_20200528-081154.png

Thanks! The sloughs had completely slipped my mind and I was only thinking of the ponds! We’ll see how long I can stretch his attention, then may bounce to another spot if he’s willing. I’ve got snacks, sunscreen, bug spray and will grab some worms. I’ll make sure to report back how it goes. Thanks again everyone!

Bobbers are always fun for kids attention... If you happen to be on a good perch point.

Pine Grove is a wonderful place to take kids. Very family friendly. Call the R1 FWP office and ask to talk with one of the folks in fisheries, and tell them you are looking for a place to fish with your kids. The Flathead Valley probably has the best family fishing opportunities in MT. Goodnluck!

Pine Grove is a gem. Also try Shady Lane Pond near Old Steel Bridge. See you there. (My son is the one in the bicycle helmet.) Say hi.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back