Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

RANDALL K

Not intending to "clog" such a fine elk-hunting page with "needless-dribble," but I figured this was a good time to tell my "tale-of-wao" for the year.
"There I was," this elk hunt was going to be a 'cake-walk'
footinmouth.gif
I'd gotten good info from fellow "Hunt Talk" members, was familiar with my area, there had been enough snow to make the elk move, and enough time passed since the last hunting season that they had had a chance to settled-down some. Seems that someone forgot to tell the elk about it
biggrin.gif
Actually, they had 'settled-down' quite a bit, and were moving; it just took me awhile to find them
rolleyes.gif

Day 1: Hunted hard, cut only one track (in the timber --that is, found four sets on the road from the previous day
mad.gif
).
Day 2: Hunted harder, cut two tracks today.
Got a late start on day 3; ½ hour past sun rise & I was still on-the-road. Sickening sight when I drove past some "Posted" land and counted over 40 elk grazing
mad.gif
After getting to my area I started high, nothing; went down low and found where over 20 head beaded, and where 9 had crossed the road only hours ago. Hunted hard the rest of the day, didn't see anything, but I'd found them; thing's where looking up!
smile.gif

Day 4: Seen where they'd been grazing during the night; but someone else got into them before I did. I heard the shot just west of me, an hour later I met him on the road with an elk in his truck
mad.gif
He said there were 50 in the herd, and they didn't act "too spooked." So I found where he got into them, and where they went into the timber; unfortunately I never caught-up to them.
Day 5: They haven't left the area, still plentiful/fresh sign where they were grazing during the night. Did manage to see 6 animals, with the binoculars, about 3/4 mile (next ridge north) so I head that way; and, of course, they were moving too. As luck would have it they were on the hill about 100 yd above me, and with the wind blowing "up-hill" they winded me & wasted no time in leaving; hearing them crash through the timber was a close as I got.
Day 6: They're still in the area, still plentiful sign in the grassy areas along the road. Today I come upon one deer and a half-dozen coyotes.

And so ends my elk hunting for the year 2002; unsuccessful, by no-means, but at the end of this season the score is elk=1, Randall K =0; and all I can say is...,
"JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!"

Good luck next year Randall. They are a lot harder to get than most people think. Everything happens for a reason, maybe next year you will shoot a big 6x6 at first light on opening morning. Just keep with it and you will get them.

Randall,
Sounds all to familiar!!
mad.gif
Best of luck to ya next year, hopefully it will be your year!

ElkhntinMD

Tough break Randy.......but that area gets hammered pretty hard, and the hunting there reflects that. Maybe this year you can find a place that offers less pressure.....

Good luck and drop me a line if and when I can help you on any of it.....
DS

Hey Randel, we thrive on "Needless-Dribbel"
Thoses big fat antlered cows are smarter than they look ! At least you were hunting where the were, much better than spending five days in the field and not seeing a thing. Just remember, one of the keys to elk hunting is self abuse, if your comfortable and haveing a good time, you won't get a shot. Make sure you are freezing, and not getting enough sleep...it works for me.

I like TK's theory, but like Elkhunter says, "they'll be bigger," so lets start the year off with a 7x7 at first light on opening morning
biggrin.gif
! And "NUT" is right, "going after them is better than not going after them," hence - there's no-such thing as an "unsuccessful" hunt!
smile.gif

DS: I got a county phone book when I was there, so next time I'm in town, I'll probably 'drop-by' (keep the coffee hot)
biggrin.gif

My dad and younger brother go elk hunting this weekend (different area), hopefully their luck will be better than mine was
elkgrin.gif

(maybe I should spend more time scouting this year)

Scouting helps alot...LOL..
This is the magic of elk hunting for most..Look and look, you will finally be in the right place at the right time and do well...Great story..
biggrin.gif

Back