Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Just moved to Texas (DFW) - Hog Hunting

Zander_Nelson

Hi there! My name is Zander, and I am a 22 year old EMT that just moved from Minnesota to Texas. I grew up and have hunted tons every year in MN. I am now living (moved this week) in Texas, and feel a bit out of place. I am used to tons of public land and plenty of game animals. I know hogs are a big draw to hunting here, and would love to try hunting them. If anyone knows of a place I could pay a trespass fee, or help clear out some hogs in exchange for some money, or any tips on hunting them in this area ( I live in Denton but would be willing to travel 2 hours to hunt) please let me know! I would be super appreciative, and would love to try hog meat and get some experience hunting down here. Thanks everyone for any help they can throw my way!

I lived in TX for 36 years before moving out here to UT. There are little pockets of public land here and there, but you will have a difficult time finding it. Most places, especially within a 2 hr drive of any of the major cities are going to be used as leases that can be leased for certain seasons or year round. However, if you are willing to get out away from the city a little (look at south, west and north), you can find farmers and ranchers that hate the hogs with a passion and will sometimes allow you to come out and shoot some to move them off the land for a while. You are also only about a 2.5 hour drive from OK. You may be able to find some public land up there as well that is accessible. The hogs are everywhere down there. Be persistent, offer ranch help (fencing, etc.) in return for hunting hogs. There are also a lot of places if you get on craigslist or FB marketplace that you can find that will let you pay a certain fee for hunting a certain number of hogs. It's out there. Just have to look for it. Good Luck!

There is some decent public land around the metroplex but hunting hogs on them is going to be hard. I would seriously look into getting a lease as well. Everyone says that farmers and ranchers hate hogs with a passion, which is true, but they have quite the economic value when hunted so they're not going to just let anyone they don't know hunt them when they could be making thousands a year off of it.

Around all the lakes is probably going to be your best bet. I would also venture to say that 2 hours driving is going to really limit yourself so get ready to camp or find a cheap hotel/ air bnb and make weekend trips out of it. One thing about public is that once deer and duck season are over, you are going to find a lot less people in the woods so pressure will be substantially less. To me this is the best time to be in the woods chasing hogs, during that time in between deer season and spring green up.

Hogs like water. They tend to run the river and creek bottoms. Find a well used trail down in the thicket and hang a tree stand on that. When it rains and the water ways are all full they tend to get pushed up and out into the open more which will spread them out more but they might be easier to spot. Keep in mind when it rains a lot the snakes and alligators like to be out and about too.

Hog hunting can be a lot of fun and right before I moved I learned of some really good ways to find them on public land. This winter I might have to come back home and give it a try again.

Here are some links you should check out. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I no longer live in Texas but plan on doing some hunting there this year. Also I used to live in Denton before I moved. It may seem like a concrete jungle there but there is some good outdoor opportunities you just gotta find them. If you like to fish there's plenty of places to catch crappie, catfish and bass from the bank around there.

Zander, welcome. One thing you might look into is leasing some timber land to the east of you (Tyler, Henderson, Carthage, etc). There's a lot of timberland around there and various management companies lease it out for very low fees just to make a little income while the trees are growing. You can just google for that sort of thing--I do it further south because I can't afford a "real" lease--but there are probably plenty of pigs to be had out there.

Hi Zander, welcome to Texas. As others have mentioned, hunting is a little different down here, but the challenges aren’t insurmountable.

The closest thing most landowners do to a trespass fee is have day hunts. You can find these in many places, even Craigslist and on other online forums (there is one devoted specifically to Texas hunting). For hogs, prices generally range around $150-300 per day depending on how many days, hunters, whether you need lodging, etc.

A lot of Texas hunters are on deer leases where they can also shoot hogs and other game. This gets into the several thousands of dollars per year, and leases are hard to get into.

My favorite way to hunt is in public land, though as mentioned there isn’t much, especially for rifle hunting big game. When you buy a TX hunting license, opt for the $48 annual public hunting permit. You will get a booklet with all the WMAs across the state with info in what can be hunted there and when.

Good luck!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back