Caribou Gear

Just getting started in Bozeman

lumbergreg

Hello new neighbors,

After 26 years I am happy to say I am again a Montanan:hump: I grew up in Missoula and have several old hunting areas near the Bob Marshall, but now being in Bozeman I am excited to learn areas south and east. A friend told me I may want to check out the Snowcrest and Gravelly Ranges in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge Nat Forrest. Does anyone have an opinion on this suggestion? Or other areas? I'm not interested in anyones "honey hole", just genearal areas and general suggestions. Finding my own honey hole is half the fun!! Thanks all.

Well we just got back from the Gravelly's, tough hunt, saw one shooter bull we didn't get a chance at, and some cows, quite a few Mule deer but nothing big. Hiked as far from the roads as we could get in a day and in the end we saw plenty of sign but very little overall compared to last year, we did see wolf and grizzly sign, in the end I took this cow so meat is in the freezer and 'Im happy with that! It was a zoo up there, so if you hit the Gravellys be prepared to wear out some boot leather...the lack of snow didnt help matters. Next year we are trying a new area..

Attachments

• P1020953-1.JPG
    P1020953-1.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
I like the Gravely Range...wall creek game rage...west fork...all were good a few years back..I have not hunted much in there in the last few years...the Madison and Gallitan are great too...you are in Bozeman...I often jump in the truck and have no idea which way I am going...that is the beauty of it. Great hunting in any direction.

Back