Jupiter and Saturn

RobG

If you don't know, now is a real good time to check out Jupiter and Saturn with your spotting scope. Jupiter is the bright "star" in the south after sunset. If you look at it through a good 50x scope you can see the four Galilean moons in obvious orbit, and even the cloud bands. Even with 10x binos you can see the moons and tell it is a planet.

Saturn is really cool right now - with a 50x scope you can see the rings surrounding the sphere. It is the moderately bright golden star about 30 degrees to the left of Jupiter. I think you might be able to see the rings with binos on a tripod.

An app like Starmap 3D+ might be helpful.

Been checking them out through my scope at 70 power. They’re awesome. But I feel like Jupiter was closer last year.

Any phone scope pics - for those that have an early bedtime??
I'll be impressed if anyone can pull that off. This shot of Jupiter is the best I was able to do last year, but I was holding the phone by hand and letting the phone set the exposure, etc. I guess there is an app that allows you to set exposure, etc so that would help. The fourth moon must be behind the planet.

IMG_1691.JPG

Thanks for sharing I will check it out tonight at work, I work at a Job Corps Center and the students there will love this.

Back