Jumping Jack Trailers Anyone?

BackofBeyond

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a Jumping Jack trailer. We had been eyeballing a roof top tent set up for my personal truck, but the garage door on the new house is too low to be able to pull the truck in and get the entire set up out of the weather. I told her it’s an easy fix, just let me build my dream 30’x60’ shop, easy peazy lemon squeezy. She didn’t bite. Logical next thing to look at in our minds is something like a Jumping Jack.

Any owners out there? What did you like? What did you not like? Durability?

It would mostly be for family camping trips, first night sleeps at the trailhead, and hunting season. I seem to have a knack for taking my truck places it probably shouldn’t go, so would have to upgrade to the “Black Out” version. Otherwise, I can see the trailer quickly becoming a dragger.

Any real life experiences out there with these trailers?

I follow one of Hunting groups on YouTube and they have a few . They seem a little pricey but should do the job !
Wouldn't be my choice in Grizzly Country !!
Good luck to ya on the Shop though !!

I've seen them in the Hushin videos. They look like a nice camp, but I personally don't see any advantage over a canvas tent, like a Kodiak flexbow. They're neat, but I think I'd prefer either a tent or a real camper.

If you don't get any feedback here try Rokslide or MonsterMuleys. Pretty sure there's a heavy Utah following there that have used them.

Pretty mixed reviews over there. Lots of guys that have great things to say about them also found them used for a screaming deal. People that bought new, not so much. May be time to scour Craigslist for a military surplus trailer in decent shape, snag some aluminum square tubing, and break out the welder...

LCH +1... Hushin uses them a lot,they seem to like the
easy setup/takedown.Also doubles as a utility trailer.:cool:

Reactions: LCH
I'm not saying they aren't nice but if I had to guess I'm betting Hushin is getting them free and Jumping Jack is getting a whole lot of exposure. With that said they look nice and interesting.

I have actually had my hands on them at a hunting show. As an ATV Haul rig and pop up tent setup they seem like they would be pretty cool. You are still gonna have to load up your truck with all your camping gear as most of the jumping jack is really not the greatest for storing gear, specially if you have ATV's stacked on top. I also think they are a bit overpriced as others have said. If I had a pickup truck with canopy for gear and had ATV's to haul and needed a quick pop up this would work really well. Honestly you could probably pickup an enclosed cargo hauler for two ATV's that would haul all your gear, two ATV's, A small electric chest freezer (run it with a small generator in the back of your truck). I have a buddy who has this exact setup. Having a small chest freezer in camp is AWESOME! If you are careful with your ATV's and don't store gas in the enclosed trailer it's very simple to setup a basic cot, sleeping arrangement and works well, don't have to worry about wet canvas drying out or setting up a shelter. I guess it's really in what you think will work for you.

If you don't have ATV's I would still consider an enclosed cargo trailer. Keep your gear dry and clean (dirt roads are a dust fest if not a mud fest for an open trailer like a jumpinjack).

Just my .02 nothing agains jumpnjacks. I do think they are a very cool concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 6x8. I love mine, although they are a bit pricey. I have had mine 2 years and the durability is excellent thus far. My favorite thing is the quick set up and take down. By myself, I can set it up in 5 minutes. There is no way I could that by myself with a wall tent. I think they really shine in situations where you want to be mobile and will be setting up and breaking camp a lot. If you are going to plant yourself in one spot for a week, then a wall tent would probably be a more economical choice. Let me know if you have any other JJ questions.

If you don't need the rack for ATV's, look at a popup. I have a buddy who has an old one that he drags through some pretty rough washes in the desert. I regret getting rid of mine although it was in bad shape. New popups are ridiculously pricey though.

There are some nice off road popups. I will probably get one when I retire.

I used to have a tent trailer, not quite, but similar to a jumping jack. Dust was always an issue. Once the canvas started to get old and tear, and after pricing a replacement, I sold it. My next trailer will be an enclosed utility trailer, modified to have bunks, a kitchen, and power.
Was the dust an issue from trailering or once you set it up?

Mostly from traveling. After a while it didn't seal so good and dust found it's way into EVERYTHING! Once setup, it wasn't too bad, but If there was any ATVs or trucks going by, they would kick dust up and it would settle on the canvas. Then when I would fold it up, all that dust would end up making it's way inside, no matter how careful we were.

Then there was the problem of if it was raining and we were setting up or breaking camp. You just couldn't keep water out while doing either. Then once home, I had to set it up again and let everything dry out otherwise it got moldy and smelled of mildew.

That's just my experience with a tent trailer. YMMV. But that's why I will be doing a cargo trailer retrofit for my next trailer project.

this isnt for me, but it might be for others, similar to jumpin jacks, made in green bay wi.

dont know if it is still functioning, posts look old.

Check out Colorado Trailer for their off road series of enclosed cargo haulers. Very nice alternative to the high priced pop ups assuming you have ATV's or a UTV and do a lot of dirt road travel. Even if you don't have an ATV and are not interested In a full blown TT for a hunt camp or off road travel.

Check out Colorado Trailer for their off road series of enclosed cargo haulers. Very nice alternative to the high priced pop ups assuming you have ATV's or a UTV and do a lot of dirt road travel. Even if you don't have an ATV and are not interested In a full blown TT for a hunt camp or off road travel.

I googled them, beautiful enclosed trailer, but the most affordable one they have listed as in stock is $13k. Not seeing how these would be a more affordable option to the Jumping Jacks.

I found this thing called an AT Habitat: https://adventuretrailers.com/campers/habitat/

Basically the same $$$ as a Jumping Jack, can fit the entire family, sets up just as fast, and no pulling a pesky trailer to try and turn around on a blind dead end... I'm intrigued. Not sold, but intrigued.

I have the 6x8. I love mine, although they are a bit pricey. I have had mine 2 years and the durability is excellent thus far. My favorite thing is the quick set up and take down. By myself, I can set it up in 5 minutes. There is no way I could that by myself with a wall tent. I think they really shine in situations where you want to be mobile and will be setting up and breaking camp a lot. If you are going to plant yourself in one spot for a week, then a wall tent would probably be a more economical choice. Let me know if you have any other JJ questions.
Do you still have yours and would you still recommend?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back