Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Jumping Jack Trailers Anyone?

I went the cargo trailer route and like it,,started off with a new stealth aluminum 7 x14 ,+3" height @1400lbs wt ,and have it dialed in pretty good now,,always still thinking of a few more mods to do.at this point im still under 15 k,,but started out at $5500 with a empty slate.

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_091331705.jpg
    IMG_20180826_091331705.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20180704_142658289_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180704_142658289_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20191109_101608873.jpg
    IMG_20191109_101608873.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
I have the 6x8 Blackout and love it. I've picked up several of the accessories as well...lantern post/hand rail, large awning, storage hutch, and cover. I've only had it a year but it still looks brand new after several multi-day uses. As Magnum Sherpa stated, it's no problem for one person to set it up in about 5 minutes. Being able to strap down stuff to the top of it allows me to put more crap in the bed of the truck, which makes the wife happy on car camping trips (sigh). Plus, I have a dedicated 15 lb. propane tank and run the Mr. Buddy heater inside when it gets cold. Keeps the inside nice and toasty, and the tent has a velcro flap that opens so you can run the propane hose through it. I've had it in rain, sleet, and snow. A little condensation does bleed through a little in a couple spots, but you can treat the canvas with something and be good to go. If it does get really wet, just make sure to prop it up when you get back home and let it dry. Mildew sucks.

Been researching a lot on trailers lately. I’m gonna be using my enclosed trailer to carry our side-by-side on family camping trips.

One of the things that I’ve been learning is that steel, although it is more maintenance than aluminum is much better suited for off-road use.

Apparently aluminum trailer welds crack easier and it is significantly more expensive to repair.

Can anyone chime in on that based on experience? My preference is to go with aluminum for the longevity and less maintenance… But I don’t want the hassle of screws being pulled out of aluminum, etc.

Been researching a lot on trailers lately. I’m gonna be using my enclosed trailer to carry our side-by-side on family camping trips.

One of the things that I’ve been learning is that steel, although it is more maintenance than aluminum is much better suited for off-road use.

Apparently aluminum trailer welds crack easier and it is significantly more expensive to repair.

Can anyone chime in on that based on experience? My preference is to go with aluminum for the longevity and less maintenance… But I don’t want the hassle of screws being pulled out of aluminum, etc.
I‘ve not had any issues with welds or screws with my alum trailer. But, the worst it sees is forest service roads and lots of highway miles. With 2-3500lb torsion axles, it’s never close to its max capacity even with my SxS and all my gear and water.

As you can see here, I’ve made some mods and still use this as a utility trailer when not hunting or recreating. Hard to beat a setup like this IMO vs a toy hauler or a pop up with canvas. We have used a canvas tent with a stove during elk season for a few years and that is hard to beat when it’s really cold and/or wet and we are hunting from a fixed basecamp for 10-12 days. Can’t beat the trailer set up for mobility, flexibility, utility and security. Pros and cons to both for sure.

Attachments

• D0C1ED6D-3FE8-4693-BB50-4BFB38E4C701.jpeg
    D0C1ED6D-3FE8-4693-BB50-4BFB38E4C701.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
my stealth alum trailer has been fine so far,,{factory leaf spring bushings and shackles need upgrade now at 15000} factory non greasable pins and plastic lippert spring bushings will be replaced with greasable pins,bushings and h d shackles this month on order//no issues with aluminum trailer so far except my side door got tweaked from a wyoming windstorm once when the wind grabbed it so quick it flung me out of the trailer,,lol

I keep telling myself one of these would be nice to have, just can't justify the cost v setting up my tent.

Back