Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Judging bears?

Ive seen and heard about more big bears later on too... unfortunately, one good bear spot over here, the Pryors...will commonly shut down early after the female quota is hit. The top of the hill will still be completely snowed in when its shut down. When I get up there in late May, early June I'll see nice boars left and right... but there's no season. Some guys do take a few big boars up there, but its the female quota that screws it up early on usually...
This was a nice boar I saw up there in early June...do you guys think this is a good looking bear? He was with a little brown sow... and he dwarfed her...
IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

Sow..
IMG_5304.jpg

and here is one we trailcammed on a horse carcass up there in summer....
MDGC0167.jpg

MDGC0165.jpg

and here are some others from that horse cam...
MDGC0156.jpg

MDGC0007.jpg

I've heard that color phase bears usually don't grow as large. What's anyone know about that or is it a myth made up on TV?

Personally I believe it is myth, at least around Montana, Idaho and WA where I have taken bears. I think people tend to spend less time judging the size of the color phase bears, and shoot too soon so generally smaller ones get killed. I'm not saying everyone does that but I do think people tend to rush to shoot a "color phase" a little quicker than they do on a solid black. Just my 2cents.

Rather than start from scratch, I was hoping we could resurrect this thread on bear judging. I, and at least one other guy on this forum are heading out for our first spring bear hunt in MT this coming May, and I for one need to get smarter on judging bear. If anyone has some good pics where they can point out some of the features talked about previously in the thread that would be great. It would be really nice if boars lifted a back leg to pee on things like my lab, then I could get a nice confirmation before pulling the trigger :D.

So, I downloaded some black bear pics off of google to start things off. Here is my uneducated shot at judging 9 bears, so you experiences bear chasers can tell me where I am wrong:

I think this is a decent boar (I think I am starting with an easy one): Big head, small ears, eyes are narrow compared to head, strong looking shoulders.
Black-bear 1.jpg

Immature Boar: not quite as tapered as a sow, starting to develop the crease between the ears, ears still look bigger and are more on top of the head.
Black-bear 2.jpg

Sow: Big back yard, narrow shoulders, pointier face?
blackbear 3.jpg

Not sure, but my guess is immature boar: not sure why.
black-bear 6.jpg

Sow: Narrow shoulders, more tapered back to front.
blackbear 8.jpg

No idea: this pics might be too hard to judge, but I need to know when I can't make a determination too.
black-bear 9.jpg

Sow: Weaker front shoulders, and she is looking longingly at what I assume is some stud boar coming to sweep her off her feet :hump:
Black-Bear-5.jpg

Immature boar: stronger looking front end, but the ears look bigger.
bear-black-4.jpg

I have no clue: big pot belly, but the ears look big too, I almost thought pregnant sow.
Black Bear 7.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, and what charactaristics you would be looking at.

Thanks

Ross

C-Tank 4.JPG
Here is one of the biggest color phase bears I have seen lately, I had to get the photo with my phone and spotting scope. After I spotted him I only hunted him the rest of the season, I never could get close enough for a bow shot.

So, I downloaded some black bear pics off of google to start things off. Here is my uneducated shot at judging 9 bears, so you experiences bear chasers can tell me where I am wrong:

Bears 1,2, and 4 are "no doubters," in my book, the rest are sows or younger bears. I think bear number 4 is probably the biggest of the bunch. Looks like an absolute hog bear, I would base that on how short the head/neck is in proportion to the body, and the ears look like they've been bitten off or frozen off. In other words, he looks like he's been around the block. I would estimate that bear over 6.5'+ Maybe I'm optimistic...

Looking forward to chasing bear this spring as well.

The spacing of the ears on the top of the Bears head. If close together, probably a small or yearling. If the ears are further apart it's a good bear. If the ears are pointing out the side of the top of the head it could be a 6 1/2 or 7 footer. As for sow or boar..never had much luck there,so I just look for any cubs and hold off? We can't bait in Montana, so spring grass, and trout streams are the good food sources. Right now if you live in a rural neighborhood here, just watch which neighbor leaves their garbage out and you'll find a bear quick enough.

Here here, the ears on the side of the head. The further apart the better for a large bear. Big ears on top of head small bear. Small ears on the side of head large bear. Large ears on the top of head small bear As for the tracks the bigger and deeper in the earth the bigger the bear. The archery pro shop I go to has an outfitter in I think Saskatchewan, Canada 3800, but they are taking trophies. A guy from Maine just contacted me for5 or 7 days 1700, but no guarantee.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back