Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Jr & Sr Javies

nmtaxi

My son took pity on me this weekend and gave me first shot at a javie, since he killed a big boar last year, and I had never punched a javie tag in 5 previous tries. These ugly little stink pigs had become my unicorn. After so many unsuccessful attempts at these guys, I was starting to feel like it would never happen.
It was Saturday, around noon, and we were working the top of some arroyos, glassing down into them, when I spotted what I thought was a loan boar. He was only about 75 yards away, so I took a knee, and let one fly out my .257 Roberts. It connected, and I put one more in him just to make sure he didn't go anywhere. I can't tell you how excited I was. You would have thought I just put down a full curl bighorn, and my son was just as excited for me.
As we started to make our way down to the pig, another javie seemed to come from no where. He stuck around long enough for my son to get his rifle on the shooting sticks and put it down with one shot. It was truely one of the most memorable moments of my hunting life. My hand was starting to hurt from all the high fives we gave each other.

DSCF0978cr.jpg

DSCF0984cr.jpg

DSCF0990cr.jpg

Nice stink pigs you and your boy got there Taxi. Nice of your boy to let you get 1st shot. LOL. Even better that you both got them so close together. Wasn't the weather good here in NM for some outdoor activity? Have you ever tried doing Javalina mounts/taxidermy? One of these days I'm gonna have to swing by your place and check out your work. Congrats.

Double Droptine

Dude.. you guys put the hurt to the animal population down there don't you!!!!!! Kudos again to your boy and ... well, finnally congrats to you ;0

Nice job! I have found in my years of hunting javelina that the whole key is to scout and locate at least two good sized herds. They usually don't move from an area for more than a couple hours even when spooked! I have been hunting the same herds of javelina for about five years now and i kill one every year with my bow. This season starts on Feb. 23rd and I will be taking my girlfriends two boys out hopefully I can get them a shot.

Congrats! I've been thinking that a javelina hunt would be a GREAT respite during a long winter... :D

Thanks for all the comments guys.
DD, I've mounted a few pigs over the years. I usually only mount about 15 or so heads a year (plus skulls, horn mounts and hides), and even that is getting to be too much. After this year, I'll probably only do my stuff, and maybe some special projects that interest me. You're welcome to come by anytime, though.

Here is the best shot of the hunt (for me anyway). My boy trying out the new pack I bought him. I'm pretty darn happy that I didn't have to pack both of them out.:D

DSCF0994cr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back