MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

JobCorps, what can you tell me?

T Bone

Anyone have info about the JobCorps program?

We've been blessed with a 17 year old that can't stay out of trouble. He's running out of options to finish high school.

Jobcorps is a possibility for him.

Good, bad, ugly?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about you 17 y.o.'s challenges. Still time to turn things around rather quickly so stick in there. No personal experience with JobCorps. I have heard is somewhat a military model so some people will respond then flourish and others will dig in their heels.

I have a buddy with two offspring. Around 15, the wheels started to come off the son. Booze and pot to be edgy. Cut school classes. Shoplifting. Steal from family. Then started using oxy and as money ran out switched to heroin. Teeth are busted up and falling out. Parents have yo-yoed between enabling and building a wall of separation so the rest of the family unit survives. The other offspring just graduated college. Is a mess and is most likely too late for the son to ever be a productive element of society. The son recently had a court date and told the judge "thanks to no thanks" to a chance for rehab rather than jail since would rather die than not be high.

Sending good thoughts.

I cant speak specifically about the program but i grew up in Chadron Ne and we had a job corps just south of town by the state park we used to go out there every Thursday night and get our butts handed to us in basketball. Most of the kids seemed to enjoy being there and from what i remember enjoyed the program. Great hands on training.

I cant speak specifically about the program but i grew up in Chadron Ne and we had a job corps just south of town by the state park we used to go out there every Thursday night and get our butts handed to us in basketball. Most of the kids seemed to enjoy being there and from what i remember enjoyed the program. Great hands on training.

My experience with Job corps is at Chadron also but only when they came to town. Can't say I ever experienced anything bad from the group of kids and you could tell they were a tough group of kids...almost ganglike when you see them but very well behaved

I went to high school with two guys my age who attended the job corps in Anaconda, Montana.

I think it was great for them. Both have good careers, one as a welder and the other for the railroad. I have heard a lot of positive things about the one in MT

Last edited:
An Army officer friend of mine was also the director of the Anaconda Jobs Corps and ran a firm, fair, and challenging program for young men from all over the country who had difficulty socially and educationally, most having had some brush with the law. They trained, worked, learned and lived together in an environment much different from what they came from and either conformed or struggled to failure. Most matured and went on to complete high school equivalency and vocational training, which enabled them to assimilate into productive citizenship, as described by Nameless Range.

I am proud to point to the Anaconda Job Corps and also to the Montana National Guard Youth Challenge Program as viable options for young men and women who have difficulty conforming and behaving in conventional educational and social settings.

T Bone, I encourage you to get your son involved in such a program ASAP!

A genuine thanks to all that responded here and via PM.

I let the kid read them. Tonight, at this moment, he has hope for his future.

Thank you.

A genuine thanks to all that responded here and via PM.

I let the kid read them. Tonight, at this moment, he has hope for his future.

Thank you.

Best of luck to your boy. I like to tell my Soldiers,"I have never learned one lesson from a trophy, but a heck of a lot from my bruises." I hope your son finds those lessons.

The fact that his dad is involved, and is helping him find his way, makes me think he is going to come through it and make a man of himself.

Best of luck to your boy. I like to tell my Soldiers,"I have never learned one lesson from a trophy, but a heck of a lot from my bruises." I hope your son finds those lessons.

The fact that his dad is involved, and is helping him find his way, makes me think he is going to come through it and make a man of himself.

^^^ This

Might have to do some mining as the posts will be old, but former poster Nut (from OH) had a few threads about his kids journey through jobs corp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back