Caribou Gear

Jetboil alternatives

Although I don't have thousands of uses on my cheap stove, i do probably have north of a hundred. The one piece of advice I have is to make sure you get a coated handle on the pot. My first pot didn't. Lesson learned.

man, i still just use a whisperlite.

is that like.... the backpacking version of being a boomer?
I love whisperlites... for a basecamp stove on a glacier or anywhere you are melting snow for water for more than a couple days... for anything else a canister stove with a heat exchanger is where it's at, I prefer MSR Windburners or Reactors, once you realize you can have coffee ready to go in approx 30 seconds the game changes...

I love whisperlites... for a basecamp stove on a glacier or anywhere you are melting snow for water for more than a couple days... for anything else a canister stove with a heat exchanger is where it's at, I prefer MSR Windburners or Reactors, once you realize you can have coffee ready to go in approx 30 seconds the game changes...

i think i can't get over the buying canisters. god knows i'm too lazy to take them to where they should be recycled and i'm simultaneously not be able to bring myself to just throw them away and they'll just fill up my garage or something. my stupid car camping stove is like that. mfing canisters rolling around every where.

and there is something about the squeaky bubbly noise of filling the priming cup that is just too nostalgic from my youth to move on from

i think i can't get over the buying canisters. god knows i'm too lazy to take them to where they should be recycled and i'm simultaneously not be able to bring myself to just throw them away and they'll just fill up my garage or something. my stupid car camping stove is like that. mfing canisters rolling around every where.

and there is something about the squeaky bubbly noise of filling the priming cup that is just too nostalgic from my youth to move on from
the new gizmo that allows you to combine canisters is a life changer, I was finally able to get rid of my backlog of partial canisters that were relegated to making coffee at the truck, and I suspect you could also just buy a giant canister and fill small ones out of it for a long time, if you're not melting snow a tiny canister goes a long way...

Another user of the olicamp pot here. I have the four dogs titanium lid and use the Soto Windmaster as the stove. Went with the Soto Windmaster as I wanted the regulated gas burner (pocket rocket delux also is regulated). Not sure if it avoids aluminum flavor - but it boils water scary fast and is more versatile than Jetboil alone. I have used it effectively to get wood stove going again in the middle of the night 😳

the new gizmo that allows you to combine canisters is a life changer, I was finally able to get rid of my backlog of partial canisters that were relegated to making coffee at the truck, and I suspect you could also just buy a giant canister and fill small ones out of it for a long time, if you're not melting snow a tiny canister goes a long way...

ah see! these are the things!

i have high reluctance to stray from what i know and because of that i never learn things - i could see a new stove in my future.

I bought the jetboil stash to replace my old jetboil. I really like it but not a fan of the Teflon. Bought a snow peak last year but hated the lid so I didn’t bring it with. Looks like @wllm has the solution for me. My only complaint is that occasionally the wind will blow it out. Wondering if the pocket rocket 2 or deluxe would hold up better in the wind. I guess it never hurts to have a spare. 98F46154-31A5-4D89-9168-D6941DC5AFAC.jpegA3B76C18-38E9-4AC4-A509-C1A24652CFBE.jpeg

I like seeing all these options. Looks like MSR pocket rocket and a titanium pot set are high on the research. I have a small metal windscreen for an MSR stove but I'll look into the MSR reactor

If I had the money to spend, MSR anything for sure. If you’re on a budget, Bluu stoves from Amazon are really good. I picked one up this year to upgrade grade from my budget put together kit I made. Boiled a cup of water in less than 2 min.

Another vote for the MSR Windburner. Never had any issues with mine being blown out by wind. Very efficient stove. Works well for me.

I bought a Jet Boil when they first came out around 2001. I still have it and it still works (at least it did during it's last outing) after many years of use, although I haven't used it in over a decade. Truth is, I'm not a fan of canister stoves. Good luck finding a canister in a remote area or if SHTF. Plus the butane canisters work like garbage when in below freezing temps. I typically like my kit to be multi-use and versatile as possible. I now use a Optimus Hiker+. It's been around a long time and is a great multi-fuel stove.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230328_154547_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230328_154547_Drive.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 18
man, i still just use a whisperlite.

is that like.... the backpacking version of being a boomer?
I have a whisperlite as well, great for winter/elevation or for places were canisters aren’t readily available, though I haven’t found that location yet… hell they had them on Adak.

I've used a Kovea Spider a fair bit over the last couple years, with a Toaks pot. The whole system is just a bit heavier than some but I have really learned to like a remote canister.

I have a whisperlite as well, great for winter/elevation or for places were canisters aren’t readily available, though I haven’t found that location yet… hell they had them on Adak.

I think most boomer thing about it is I can certainly afford to get a more efficient compact stove, yet, the dang thing just works and by golly I’m gonna use it then

And you know, it’s super important to have the ability to burn diesel to make your coffee and such

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back