Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jetboil alternatives

MThuntr

I had a Jetboil for a long time. It made everything taste like aluminum. I hated how everything tasted out of it...metallic coffee, metallic mountain house, metallic oatmeal. Luckily after a decade of abuse it is done.

What are the alternatives? Anyone using a titanium cup set and a small jet burner?

I have used the little jets like pocket rocket and Soto ODR-1 with a Ti pot. They are a fine combo for sure, and can come out a pinch lighter than the self contained type of setups.

I use an MSR Windburner probably 95% of the time. I really appreciate the wind protection, more than I thought I would. I guess I can’t promise you wouldn’t have a taste from it, I’ve never noticed it though.

I wonder if some coatings or something wore off your JB? I’m not sure how the metallurgy and coating (if any) of that type of pot works.

I like my MSR micro rockets with OliCamp pot. Not sure if it solves your issue.

Last edited:
I wonder if some coatings or something wore off your JB? I’m not sure how the metallurgy and coating (if any) of that type of pot works.
I'm not sure exactly but it had the taste from day 1. JB said if it wasn't flaking the flavor should go away and nothing they could do unless the anodizing was coming off.

MSR pocket rocket plus an efficient pot with a heat exchange ring on the bottom (this is my go-to pot). The one I have from Optimus has lasted 10+ years including: husband unit using it to dig out a trench when out tent flooded, 1000s of mac n cheeses, 1000s of cups of coffee, oatmeal goo cemented to it. I love this pot so much that I recently bought the big version for car camping. The small pot plus pocket rocket I believe is lighter than a jetboil and works just as quickly. Jetboil is all marketing.

What about trying a different pot on jetboil? I think they make few versions dont they? I have never had a issue other than that spark thing never works...lol

MSR windburner is great. Get the larger pot too for additional people.

As mentioned above nearly impervious to wind and can be lit with a ferro rod which is a huge plus.

Also lots of accessories to add.

You guys are all recommending great stoves but I think OP wants the efficiency of the JB - I don't care what brand you go with but you should get a pot with an efficiency coil on the bottom. All these pots are just pots. The coil makes a big difference.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back