Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Javelina questions

Calif. Hunter

I've never hunted these little rooters, and I've been drawn for February in Arizona. What should I use? I have - .223, .22-250, .30-30 bolt action Savage, various deer calibers and handguns in .357, .41 and .44 mags, a .45 Colt (no heavy loads!) or a .45 ACP.

I think a rifle would be my best bet, for a first-time hunt in an unfamiliar area. What do you think?

36-B I think - my buddy just called and his cel phone was kind of garbled.

Good - I have a little CZ-527 that is light and handy. I have some 64-gr Power Point bullets for bigger varmints or small deer. Should I load those up or just use 50 or 55 gr varmint bullets?

Anything will work on a pig, a few guys use 22mags
most pig hunters that I know use .223's and 22-250s with 60 grain bullets.

SOme guys still use 30-06s and .300 winmags

A 30-30 is a good round too , really good if you have a contender

I'd help you with that unit but I dont know it very well. but would be more than willing as the season gets closer. its right next to the border so make sure you carry a pistol at ALL TIMES.
Delw

Calif Hunter, I use my .223, I put together some Barnes XLC' s in 50 grs. last year. Knocked my pig over at 150 yards. I was very happy with the outcome, I have a 36C rifle tag, while they are neighbor units I have never hunted 36B, Good Luck, JLG.

Javelina hunting is very rewarding when using archery gear and that would be my first choice. The key is using quality optics, stalking from down wind, and getting closer then you think you can. What I mean by that is they tend to allow the hunter who has covered his bases, to get very close fairly easy due to thier not so great eye sight. Allways cary a preadetor call for when they spook. Give them about 3-5 minutes after they run and start calling. Don't stop untill your convinced they aren't coming back (usually less then 1-3 minutes) Won't bring them back every time, but the 15%-20% it does sure makes it worth it. When you are in a herd, it is entirely possible with very high success (80% )to bring them closer to you even if they know something ain't rite by just putting your hands over your mouth and grunting at the same pace they are. "Muffled grunt" is the best way I can desribe the call. If they start to run they tend to grunt at a faster pace, it is very easy to calm them down by grunting just a little slower then they are, essentially saying to them "I am scared too, but come over here with me and we will be together". I could go on and on as these are some of the funnest critters to hunt with a bow.

I think you're right, a long shooting rifle will increase your chances. They are little short things and you can catch up to them, if they don't know you're after them. They can't see very good, I think they hear and smell better than they see. You could carry both a rifle and pistol in case you got a pistol shot, that would be cool. I"ve shot them with a bow and a rifle, but never a pistol, so I would want to try and do that.

Cali,

I think I can help you with 36b. I've been in the unit and have seen Javelina there. I just cant remember the exact names of all the places. I'll pm you in the next couple weeks.

Take elkracks advice, all his thought were right on. You dont need to shoot javelina from long range. I've shot 2 with a bow, one was 20 yards one was about 10 yards. I'll be chasing them again this January with a bow, its a great time and a great time of year to be in the desert. Have fun.

I was successful in drawing a Javelina permit for AZ (37A). This will be my first attempt, so I chose to use a rifle (planning to use a .223). Any guidance on good spots in this section?

BuzzH

I drew a 5063 tag with a friend. When are you coming down? Which unit are you starting in? I know the gamewarden in 6a, I might be able to get some info for you from him if you want.

Thanks Calif.hunter.

Funter, if you are responding to me, I will be leaving Michigan on December 30th and anticipate arriving in the Mesa area around January 7th. My hunt # is 05030. I would appreciate any assistance in locating some possible starting points.

We hunted with archery equipment, and it was great... I had heard about using predator calls, so we would just go out and set up and start calling. About 1/2 the time, we would have "pigs" come running. We got the crap scared out of us a couple of times when they would come running up from behind us, grunting and popping their teeth. They are pretty fast and we were scrambling to get away from their tusks more than once. Also had 'yotes and bobcats in quite regularly. When calling "pigs", call constantly. If you quit calling, they quit coming. Need good lungs, or a good electronic caller!!
Hope you enjoy!! We sure did!!

Mibearbait,

Check your dates your hunt (5030) isnt until Feb 18th-24th. Are you planning on being down here that long?I dont know alot about 37a but I will see what I can find out.You can get some good info by calling the gamewarden for that unit520-628-5376.The predator calls work too.

Have fun hunting those little ghosts.
Just dont let funter get to them before you or he'll stick them with some arrows! :)
Wish I could have afforded to put in this year for them piggies back home.

I can tell you about a hot spot in 36B and Use a bow!! if you can find them you can kill them. if you blow the stalk charge in to scatter them and make a noise kind of like a HUFF HUFF (hard to imitate here) but they will come to you. Take a camcorder along and video the hunt. These little guys are made for bow and video. The hardest part of killing one is actually finding them!! I would recommend spotting in the morning and doing some walking late morning in high ridges scanning with binos.
I have a lookout spot i can share with you and have seen pigs from the spot about 30% of the time. PM me if you want more details but some of the other guys may have better spots.

It looks like the 60 gr Partitions over BLC-2 work pretty good! I tried Varget, just to get the benefits of an "Extreme" Hodgdon powder, but the groups were over 1 1/2 inches. Then I tried this load, and this is the group I got - well under a half inch! I put the gun away after that. I'd like it hitting a little higher, but I didn't want to mess with it...I can hold a little high if the pig is further away than 100 yards!

100_1625.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back